Sinister: University Libraries

David White david at xxx.uk
Tue Jul 11 12:52:05 BST 2000

Greetings,

<<<Libraries>>>
Will Salt wrote:
>I work in a university library, so you'd think that the customers I'd come
>across would be intelligent people able to find their own books with the
>minimum of effort.
I remember not long ago (about February probably) when I was leaving the
university library (after finding my own books I might add), I had to show
the books I'd borrowed to the security guard, who was an old fella. I was
putting the books in my bag when some greasy long haired gimpy student came
up to show his books looking thoroughly miserable. The old fella asked the
student what's wrong to which the student muttered something about being
stressed cos he had exams coming up and an essay to complete. The response
the old fella gave was one of the finest I have ever heard, "Stress? you
want to live in Mozambique son, that's fucking stress." Kind of put's
everything in perspective really.

I'm not a huge fan of librarians in general, aren't they supposed to be
there to show people how to find books in the organised chaos called the
indexing system they have create? Most of them seem to think they are doing
us some massive favour by putting themselves out to tell us (grudgingly)
where to find the sodding books. I may be wrong but don't these people know
what to expect when they take the job? I can understand why somebody in a
record shop would be pissed off because in general the stuff is easy to find
and if it's not on the shelf, it's probably not in the store, but in a
library it's not like that is it?

<<Air>>
Yes, I've noticed the Last Of The Summer Wine/Air thing as well. Cue images
of an old fella rolling down some Yorkshire hillside in a bathtub or some
such piece of household junk, and the pervy old one on the bike. Hilarious?
I think not.

<Content>
I think 'Chickfactor' is (goes away for 5 minutes to listen to it) pretty
decent. I actually quite like it although I prefer The Simple Things (which
is playing right this very minute).
Can anybody recommend a good site where I can get MP3s of 'Lord Anthony' and
'Rhoda'. I've tried Napster but it's as slow as a week in a university
library and anyway I can't find 'Rhoda' on there.

That's all folks!
Dave
david at belleandsebastian.freeserve.co.uk
Visit www.belleandsebastian.freeserve.co.uk now...