Sinister: A prog up the arse

Richard Lander rclander at xxx.net
Wed Jul 12 14:31:33 BST 2000

One of my very infrequent posts but Mr Casarotto hit the nail right on the
head when he said

> I've finally come to realise
> that my trooping to the shop on the day a new 'lab album is released is
just
> stupid - they left the love behind a long time ago. It's not real. It's
bad
> pop. Just listen to "Lo Boob Oscillator", which I think was the last
> postcard-perfect thing they ever did (it's on the High Fidelity
soundtrack),
> and then a random track off any of the last three or four LPs, and tell me
> which is more magical.

I can remember seeing Stereolab at the Boardwalk in Manchester quite early
on and they were filled with glistening pop tunes and put on a bloody grate
performance. Now sadly they seem to be ploughing the same old rut again and
again. I'm selling lots of records I no longer listen too and while Switched
On and Peng! will continue to reside in my record collection I'm afraid that
Dots & Loops won't.

So theres going to be no Belle & Sebastian concerts for another 18 months.
Probably when  they will tour again they won't come to Hong Kong either,
damn. One of these days I'm expecting to read that somebody has put together
a B & S tribute band, like the Australian Pink Floyd or Bootleg Beatles or
something. This B & S tribute could call themselves something like
Electronic Renaissance or The Dogs on Wheels or something.

What a scary thought!

Richard Lander
Lamma Island, Hong Kong