Sinister: Points of View

Williams Adam (Mr A) Adam.Williams at xxx.uk
Wed Jul 12 17:52:00 BST 2000

Hiya popkids.

Well as it's all quiet here and we seem to be allowed to talk utter arse
without getting our virtual wrists slapped (and there are sites dedicated to
having a virtual wrist slap, or so i am unreliably informed) or sent to bed
without jelly (jelly and beds feature heavily on aforementioned sites), I
thought I'd throw my tuppence ha'penny into a hat and then throw that into
the ring. If anyone has any suggestions what to do with the ring they can
keep them to themselves. You too Casarotto.

So I thought i'd wink my very bestest leery Ann Robinson wink and begin.

A Ms Dastoor wrote in to wail-

"Made me laugh like an idiot on the tube.
Don't you hate it when idiots laugh at books on the tube?"

Well, Madame Nick, it depends what they're reading. I for my part was
chattering like a monkey at Grey's Anatomy on the Bakerloo line this very
morn. If it's the tube driver reading a book called "How to stop a Tube" i
feel a tad concerned. If it's anyone reading Terry Pratchett/Bill
Bryson/Helen Fielding, I take a photo of them to offer as mitigation if any
GBH charges are levelled at my subsequent actions. Different strokes for
different folks, as my masseuse would say, but some people are just plain
wrong.
Similarly there's been a lot of doodah about libraries again. Ms Dastoor
mentioned they get a ton of crap. Well yes, but it's hardly nursing is it?
My librarians are lovely though, so i wouldn't abuse any of them. If they're
surly they deserve it.
I did work in a bookshop for a while and some customers dis seem o expect me
to have read every damn book in the shop. ("Have you got any good novels
with Victorian workhouses that I can read to my class?" I kid you not.) I
mean, obviously i'd read about 86.2% of them, but still.
"Can you recommend a good Terry Pratchett?"
"No, he's only written shit ones." - oh the fun you can have on your last
day!

Oh and kids, don't steal books from libraries as some of you were boasting
recently. It ain't big or clever and I doubt Stuart would approve. I have
stolen from bookshops and then given the books TO libraries because that's
the kinda guy I am. This is immensely cool and if each of you did it once
this week, the world would be a slightly sunnier place.

Dame Martin Rockford wrote that he was
"concerned about the state of the American education
system. "How shall we teach European history?". We'll show an American
film, about an American selling an American product. Very worrying."

True enough, Jim. One, Two, Three (fine film in my book) was actually
co-written and directed by an Austrian, but I see your point. And Eric
Hobsbawm's great if you want to turn an entire generation into mad, cynical
lefties. (Which I do, obviously. Although i don't think we'd get away with
that in the US of A. Best just keep giving them guns.) But books in schools?
you're showing your age dear girl. Or you would be if you'd also mentioned
chalk, slate and ritual buggery by the dorm master.

And you can witter about Spandau all you like, but after what that Kray twin
did framing poor Maffew, I just can't listen to 'em any more. And you know
this much is true.

Richard newboy Lander spooked me with his comments about A B&S tribute band.
Well Dick, I've pipped you to the post by forming one. I won't tell you what
we're called as I'm shy of the publicity for reasons I shall explain in
thirty interviews next month. But suffice to say we'll be keeping the flame
alive, and giving the kids what they want. Obviously we won't actually be
playing any gigs or anything vulgar. But we'll be selling shitloads of T
shirts....

see you on the other side.
a.

ps Chris Rea - Rich Arse. Ain't anagrams great?