Sinister: Wish you were PENG!!!

#M. P. mcpuckett at xxx.com
Wed Jul 12 22:12:38 BST 2000

Dear Sinister,
I have a contribution to the Floydular conversation, sorry to say, but first
-
Have any of you listened to the Reverend Al Green lately? I'm not sure if
you should or not, but if anyone has a chance to see him in person by all
means make the effort! Don't be fooled by the JESUS! refrains, the man has
sold his soul to the d-e-v-i-l I tell you. I'd imagine from recent debate
that some of you would be a little disturbed to be getting your groove on
next to a woman 3 times you age that knew *every* *single* *word*, but you'd
be just plain wrong in my book.

All this Floyd talk has me remembering that my very first reaction to B&S
(IYFS) was not only "how 60's", but very specifically that it reminded me of
Syd Barrett. After a little while it was hard to remember why I even thought
that, but it probably had something to do with the the beautiful quirkiness
of the melodies on that album. I can't remember the last time I actually
wanted to listen to Pink Floyd, but I can remember an age when I did want
to, which is more than I can say for most bands...

On a similar note, I can't bring myself to buy the new Stereolab, which is
distressing since a friend has done the engineering and/or production on the
last 3 albums. There's nothing that's more annoying than not being able to
compliment someone you know. BUT, I would never, ever miss a chance to see
them live, which is a point I think worth making. They have a magical way of
combining politics and pleasure that hasn't faded for me at all over the
years. Not many bands have been able to maintain that for as long as they
have. Still, there's nothing like the feeling when they light into the likes
of Our Tritone Blast"...

o.k. that's all, sorry for the ramble. Just to spice it up, I'll tell you
that I hit a major milestone towards aldulthood last night. I was in the
middle of it all when my girlfriend started laughing uncontrollably. "It's
just so funny", she said. And I didn't even mind.

matt