Sinister: I am disappointed by my favourite band (for the first time)

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Thu Jul 13 12:06:56 BST 2000

***LET'S GET THE RANT OUT OF THE WAY FIRST***

Well, let me start by saying I am really annoyed about B&S's refusal to tour
or release another single.

"They've just decided to have a year off. The way things stand at the
moment, there aren't going to be any dates this year or any more singles.
They could change their minds next week, but I wouldn't hold your breath."
quote Katrina House. (I presume) "That's the beauty of Belle And Sebastian"

No, that's what REALLY bugs the fans, and gives slimly little toads like
Steve Wells all his ammunition.

I don't know why this irritates me so much, because here in New Zealand it's
unlikely I'd ever see them play anyway, but I just have to ask myself "WHAT
THE HELL ARE THEY DOING?" Taking a break from the rigourous promotional
duties from the last album. Oh, that's right - one bloody press conference
and a 10 minute phone call to Steve Wells. And that was it. The album must
have been finished about 4-6 months ago, so what have they been doing since
then?I though Stevie was planning for more chart toppers? Obviously not huh?
Enjoy your holiay, kids.

I guess what bugs me about this is that it will be see as an archly indie
guesture on their part. When in fact it isn't. It's the kind of thing bands
like Def Leppard and Genesis can afford to do. Release an album every five
years, and then disappear. A "real" indie band would be gigging, writing and
making music. But to me this feels like Belle & Sebastian just cna't be
bothered. They know sad bastards like us will hang off every beautiful note
they record, will buy the new album on the day it comes out, so why try
harder. I really am quite disappointed. it's not like the band owes me (or
any of their fans) anything, I just think it ould be nice if the made some
EFFORT.

oh well ..... no "Lonliness of a Middle Distance Runner" single for me this
year. (sigh)

***THE FIELD MICE***
Had 15 mails from people about yesterday's request. 14 said they were great,
one said they were "ok". So I ordered the album .....

***NICK DRAKE LIVE***
I met someone who saw Nick Drake play live! This middle aged guy who works
at Borders here in Auckland. he's from the UK, and was really into all Joe
Boyd's "Witchseason" stuff in the late 60's/early 70's. Anyway, he saw Nick
Drake as a support act for someone. His story checked out too ... or at
least, if he was lying, he at least went to the effort to read the biography
before spinning the tale. Wow .... Nick Drake live, mmmmmmmm.

(and does anyone think the person who played Titus Groan as a 17 year old in
"Gormenghast" looks EXACTLY Like Nick?)

***STEPHEN "TIN TIN" DUFFY***
Much underrated. I have all The Lilac Time albums (you can get them dead
cheap on eBay at times ...) and they're wonderful - especially "Paradise
Circus". I'm sure many B&S fans would find something to enjoy in Lilac Time
albums.

***DAPHNE & CELESTE***
I am thoroughly convinced that these girls have accomplished what Primal
Scream have been *trying* to do for the last few years - make a subversive
art-punk-disco record. And probably with the drugs. Gotta love those kids

Well, goodnight everyone ... it's WAY past my bedtime.

Lawrence Mikkelsen
http://www.akn.quik.co.nz/mikelsen/aboutme