Sinister: link, librarians, late landing

Sarah Garrett Sonner ssonner at xxx.com
Thu Jul 13 23:06:11 BST 2000

Hello List.

Too bad alliteration doesn't start with an L. I'm de-lurking for a third
time, firstly cause I don't think anyone's posted about last week's
Pitchfork review of FYHSJKHCKAJFALP. If so, sorry if this is a repeat. It's
written in a particularly timely format for those just now getting to see
High Fidelity. Read it at:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/b/belle-and-sebastian/fold-your-hands-child.shtml
. They get some facts wrong but I have to forgive them since they don't
include the usual regurgitated band history we've all read before. (I owe
big thanks to T.S.P. for telling me about this site in the first place.)

Secondly, I must add my out-of-tune voice to the defense of all current and
former librarians, myself in the latter category. Having done hard retail
labor as well, I find it's the counter between people that makes things like
respect and common decency suddenly disappear. Remember kids, Hefner don't
write songs about just any old profession, you know. The whole argument
consisting of "yes (P*nk Fl*yd/Electronic Renaissance) sucks"/"no it
doesn't" reminds me of the schism between Dewey Decimal Systems and Library
of Congress, as I felt loyalties sharply divided at my former place of
employment. I've been reading a book about book thieves lately, too. It's
called "The GENTLE Madness." (emphasis mine.) Wheels within wheels.

Thirdly, when it comes to celebrities, TV or non, I treat them all the same.
That is, when I see them, I walk past them. This has happened enough to be
classified as a pattern. Quentin Tarantino, Hugh Downs, Jarvis Cocker, and
Robbie Williams. Well, that last one's a stretch, since he came into a
cafe/deli where I was eating and bought a bottle of water and looked around
in apprehension before exiting. So I guess he was the one doing the walking.
And Lenny from Sha-na-na once put up my ex-boyfriend's Christmas tree. Or
was that John Holmes? Or Tom Jones? Oh I forget.

Fourthly, I'm glad Robyn brought up Stuart's car. It's become rather
inseparable from my image of him. My first car was a shiny black 1949
Plymouth Special Deluxe that I sadly had to part with. If I ever met Stuart
I'd be more likely to talk about cars than music. Then again I'll most
likely just pass him by. Is he a gearhead? Dreamy.

Fifthly, hey Magda: do sort-of-covers of soul songs count? The Donnas rhyme
"I saw him standing at a rock'n'roll show/ somebody told me that his name
was Bruno" in their version of Da Doo Ron Ron. Rockabilly wouldn't count
there either, but Clint Miller sings such timeless lyrics as "Bertha Lou,
gotta get a date with you" and "I want to conjugate with you."

Sixthly, and most difficult to pronounce, too bad I'll be arriving over
there just shy (in two meanings) of the London picnic date. Give a holler if
you see me in the next 2 weeks--I'm extremely tall, intimidating, and
nearsighted, and I'll be wearing my spy apparel and spending money on shoes
and records.

See you kids later,

xxx Sarah