Sinister: a whorehouse is any house

Johan Nilsson i_love_moon at xxx.com
Fri Jul 14 13:26:17 BST 2000

someone said bonnie prince billy (will oldham) and i had to stick my head
out of my bedroom. regarding bonnie prince billy and covers i cannot tell
you how much i love his versions of "whiskey and women", "in my mind" (both
david allan coe), "dream of the sea" (renderers) and "watch with me" (joe
wise). so if anyone should cover belle and sebastian and we wouldn't have to
be scared for what it would sound like it's bonnie. but i guess still will
oldham is quite an aquired taste. but i don't think a lot of belle and
sebastian fans could listen to "a whorehouse is any house" and say it's not
any good.

what does belle and sebastian have against rarities? someone on the list was
fuzzin' something about something fuzzy like a greatest hits album (yuck)
and i could just say that it probably wouldn't suprise me. okay wait, let me
start this over; big'ups for the singles with songs not from the album but
what about other things that is dwelling around in the indie scene; such as
compilation tracks, tour singles, limited special releases of any kind or
what about japanese bonus tracks etc. oh so they did a song for a
soundtrack - which it took what, two months before it was out on jeepster?
so they did have an sold out record which jeepster didn't hesitate to
rerelease. come on, they didn't even care to put all the three eps on one cd
and do that slightly rare, no they had to repress them exactly the other
versions and just slip them in a extra sleeve (which you buy the way can buy
straight from jeepster). ok so compilation tracks and tour singles is bad
because everyone cannot get a hold on them (pity you), but that is why
people do things like "louder than bombs", "lost blues and other songs" and
"aluminum tunes". we all aknow there is plenty songs that are marvelous that
they still haven't had the nerve to put out (i don't even have to say runner
to make you know what i am talking about). so belle and sebastian might not
think they are album material but we would love to have them. it's belle and
sebastian for gods sake! rarities keeps us up and about. it sparkles it up
and keeps the fans on their toes. makes them more fanatic you know. who
doesn't like fanatic fans? but what can you expect from a band that only
tours every second year and who takes two years to put out a new album... or
one and half to put out even a song.

no, i am just writing things on the top of my head, belle and sebastian can
do whatever they want to, they still make me happy. but i still which they
would put out more music and do less traveling around the world promoting
themselves. not that promotion is bad but you know, music is better.

record tip of the month: david grubbs 'the spectrum between' is bloody
marvelous. it got cowboys on the cover and appearently it sometimes stands
under the 'country' section in your local record store but with songs like
'a shiver in the timber', 'show me who to love' and 'whirlweek' we put on
our square dance out-fits and get on the floor and dance. if not then it's
good record to sit and listen to when you're home and about.

pink floyd... eewww... what next? foghat?

puzzle on

johan