Sinister: dark side of the moon

Tiago Romeu cjromeu at xxx.pt
Fri Jul 14 19:37:22 BST 2000

nick dastoor:
>Shamefully, I've yet to hear 'A Dark Side of the Moon', which is all about
>mental illness apparently, so that sounds really good.  I like concept albums
>about insanity.  I wonder if it's better than Madness's 'The Rise & Fall' and
>Brian Wilson's 'I Used to Be A Werewolf But I'm All Right N-owowoww?

It's curious reading you on that subject because me and a friend we spent
several hours of one night, a few months ago, just analyzing the concept of
that album. In the end we concluded it was about the course of one during
his life in modern society, and on what that society leads him to do.
oh...I mean in modern "money-ruling-humanless" society and how much damaged
that society causes in one's mental sanity. If you notice, it's starts with
an heart beat, and the first music is precisely "Breathe", like one's just
born. Even so, yes, its mainly about brain damage, but isn't it all about
it ? If you follow the
Born-Study-WorkworkworkHardToGetAReallyNiceJobWhereYouGetWellPaid-AllmoneyNo
Love/Wisdom-Die you will do get insane. Or end up being an automatic robot.
And the album is brilliant in exposing it. If you also notice, "Brain
Damage" comes right after "Money" and "Us and Them", or, if you prefer,
first "Get a good job with more pay and your ok" («Money») and then "And in
the end is onky round and round and round" («Us and Them»). In the end,
after "Brain Damage", the "Eclipse", simbolizing death. Or the end of a
cicle, as it also ends with an heart beat.
I don't know much of Pink Floyd besides this but the concept of this album
and the way it is done is absolutely fabulous. It sure diserves a bigger
and more important post than this one. I hope someone's there to discuss it.

greets
tiago

ps : and after reading some posts about pink floyd (I repeat : without
knowing it to well) I got the sense that most of people who doesn't like
it, didn't explain it on a way that the others could understand why they
thought like that. which leads me to conclude that most of anti-Floyd
people is conduced by social prejudice. Progressive-Rocks-not-twee. even
though, I really don't want to get envolved in such discussion. as I said,
I don't know them that well.