Sinister: Spumco: The Danes Call It Quality!

Vicki Rider vrider at xxx.net
Sat Jul 15 05:18:28 BST 2000

Hello :-)

I believe I'm on the verge of two B+S coversions:

1) My dad, who I respect most of anybody in the ways of music (he's the
first one that played me The Beatles and The Smiths 'lo those many years
ago). He's always listened to my Belle and Sebastian tapes with a reserved
look on his face, finally remarking at the end of the song, "They're a bit
fey, aren't they?" in a crushing tone.
  However, a couple of days ago we were on the last leg of a roadtrip back
to Phoenix from Tuscon, listening to a mix tape I had made (does anyone hate
the phrase "mix tape" to describe the precious gems we send to friends and
loved ones? I can't stand it). The last song on the tape was "Don't Leave
The Light On Baby". I curled up very quietly on the passenger side of the
car and waited. Halfway through, at the solo where the strings come in, my
dad says "I LOVE this song! It's my kind of music!", and after it's all
over, "Wow! That was really good." Rah Rah Rah!!
2) My aunt, who's actually around 24, younger than my sister even. I sent
her a tape I made for her as a graduation present. I hadn't heard anything
from her for about 2 months and forgot about it. The other day I get a
message from her--"I absolutely love the tape; I play it at work all the
time!!" On there I had about 3 strategically-placed B+S songs, so that means
she liked them too, right?? heehee

"Burroughs is in Tangiers I don't think he'll be coming back it's
Sinister"-Allen Ginsberg

Brian mentioned:
>and a lot of people I know have seen Katie Holmes here and there
Has anyone gone onto the Tangents website to the section Katie Says? It's
this place where they have a picture of Katie Holmes with a little speech
bubble
and they make her say whatever they want (right now I think they're doing
Go-Betweens lyrics). You can also buy a shirt and make Katie say whatever
you want her to. I'm thinking of the Felt quote "We might as well all stay
in our rooms until we die"--keep the teachers on their toes.

Robyn asked:
>what do people think of pop music from the 50s?
How about pop music from the '40s (if there is such a thing)? Before I even
liked rock and roll at all, I was groovin' my little 10-year-old-self to the
likes of Glen Miller and Benny Goodman (seriously!). Swingin'!

Sarah asked:
>Can we have a TV Personalities thread now, please?
Funny she would mention that. About 2 minutes before I read her post I was
on the floor laughing uncontrollably to "Little Woody Allen" (seriously!).
The Who on acid!

Thanks to everyone's repeated name dropping I finally tracked down a copy of
The Clientele's "Fading Summer ep". Absolutely beautiful! Am I alone in
thinking "An Hour Before the Light"  sounds a bit like a tune Nick Drake
would've done? I absolutely can't wait till their album this fall.

Well, I'm off to make another. . . another . .(augh!) "mix tape". With lots
of Field Mice on it, yeah!

Ciao, (I would've said "cheers", but pretending to be Italian instead of
pretending to be English is much is so much more American, don't you
think?:-)

Rachel W.

"And now we see the elusive . . . the FEARSOME! . . . .. . . .CrocoStimpy!!"