Sinister: prog rock

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Sat Jul 15 04:55:54 BST 2000

Righto.

Also saw "High Fidelity" last night. I thought it made the transfer from the
UK to the US quite well ... far better than I expected. I clpped when they
played "Seymour Stein". I'm quite surpirsed that song isn't on the
soundtrack .... (I also clapped when Dick knocked Ray's teeth out with the
phone - proving (perhaps) that I am a little evil.) Sometimes extreme
violence in fiction can be very beautiful Especially against such a smug
prat as "Ray".

***PROG***
Hmmmm. I always thought I hated prog, but now I'm not too sure. But let me
say I DESPISE Rick Wakeman. Evil man ..... Rock opera on ice? WHAT THE HELL
WERE YOU THINKING!!!!! I think Pink Floyd are "OK". I have no intention of
ever owning anything by them, but I can listen to "Dark Side of the Moon"
without wanting to kill myself. Unlike either The Vengaboys or Shania Twain.
(Canada - how could you DO that to us ....) I think, however, that much of
Pink Floyd's music has the illusion of emotional depth, but doesn't really
say anything. "Deep and meaningless" would be my soundbite review.

Whilst musing over the current prog debtae, though, I came to the conclusion
that a lot of the music I like does have links to prog. Like Suede at their
finest (ie. "Dog Man Star") and Mansun ("Six") and obviously Ultrasound. And
I LOVE those bands. And if "Mellon Collie and the Infinate Sadness" isn't
the "Tales from the topographic oceans" for the 90's, I don't know what is.

I don't think there is any crime in writing 10 minute songs and using
classical elements. I think what I hate about 70's era prog is the whole
idea about making "serious" pop music. Music which is "important" because it
uses classical elements etc. Forget it pal .... pop music is a completely
different animal and I don't think you can place them side by side. (And I
wrote a rather excellent essay about this in the final year of my Philosophy
degree a few years back. I could be a cold hearted bastard and post the
ENTIRE 3000 word doc. to the list. But then no one would ever give me a list
crush vote. (sigh)

But if anyone wants it, I can probably dig it out.

Well, rock on kids.....

Lawrence