Sinister: B&S and the flaming hand

William Harris wmh74 at xxx.com
Mon Jul 17 01:55:15 BST 2000

Comrades. Thought I'd take a plunge into the slightly frightening and
sinister world here as I got out of the nursury a week or so ago. Yes...yet
another babe. I suppose I could chime in about the whole Floyd thread, but
you all seem to be doing quite nicely on that front. Instead, I think I'll
just tell a little story about how B&S found me (or vice versa). If you get
annoyed at silly stories, please skip this post.

About three years ago, I was sitting in the vulgar and shady backyard of my
friend's parents place (she had just graduated college or something and we
were all celebrating). I didn't really know a lot of the people there and
those that I did know, I tried to avoid. Another friend of mind (Josh) was
there and so we retired to the corner of the yard with our beverages and
started to shoot the proverbial breeze, etc.

The night wore on and on and Josh started to tell me of this wonderful,
shiny new CD he had bought (B&S of course--IYFS). When he went to go get the
CD from his car or wherever he had the thing stashed (perhaps I'd rather not
know this) and retrieve a portable CD player, a few other folks wandered by.
One of them (Jay) was one of those morons who don't quite know they are
morons, but somewhere deeply buried in their psyche they have a vague
sensation that they actually *might* be. Does that make sense? Like he feels
slightly goofy for being so thick-skulled, but he does nothing to stop it
(if you feel I'm being overly judgemental please read on).

So there we were. Sitting under a large oak tree, drinking and (eventually)
listening to Belle and Sebastian. It was wonderful. From the first tenative
"Make a new cult everday to suit your affairs" I knew this was special.
Until Jay began to get rather sloppily drunk and decided he would do a shot
of something or other and light it on fire. Jay took his bottle and poured a
very full shot and a bunch of the alcohol spilled onto his hand and arm. He
giggled and took out a lighter (I tried to warn him I swear). Well, of
course, phoof. Right when I was really digging "Like Dylan in the
Movies"...Jay's waving his flaming hand in the air fueling the flames and
they grew and grew and we yelled at him to smother the flames (Oh how
alcohol burns!) and he's just got this kind of bemused look on his face like
this is the coolest thing he's ever seen and not really worried that the
flames are starting to dart up his arm toward his shoulder. Finally I jumped
up and took off my shirt (not for the faint hearted) and smothered the
flames. It took a few seconds and Jay is laughing 'cause he's so drunk and
rather a moron anyway (do you see now?).

Well...the drama really added to the music (not that it really needs it).
But we sat back down and I thought how nice it was to have "found" a new
band that was soooo fey and silly and beautiful and not at all like Jay and
his singed hand.

That's all for now.

Love, sinister giggles, and hugs (or pats on the backs for any who shy from
physical contact),

Bill H.

PS--Jay was fine. We got him to the hospital and they wrapped up his 2nd
degree burns and that's the last I saw of him.

PPS--Am in Chicago now, but will be moving to Seattle in mid-August. Any
sinisterees in these parts e-mail me (not the list of course) and maybe we
can set something up.