Sinister: Milk ain't the only thing that should be skimmed...

Laura Llew lleweth at xxx.com
Mon Jul 17 03:20:45 BST 2000

Milkmaids and spinisterines, books and book conventions, solo roadtrips and
summer flings, work, work, work, work, work. We never see the light of day.
No one really posts for weeks and rumors has it that Miss Honey ran off with
a farmhand and has gotten herself knocked up (nothing like a blatantly false
rumor to start off a post. I’m getting back into the swing of things now,
baby!). I'm disgusted. I'm sorry but it's not like me, I'm depressed. There
was what, no one at the mutant squirrel races and we had one entry into the
Isobel Campbell look-alike contest and
he was disqualified later. Why do I bother? Oh, I never claimed to be a
"Real Genuis" anyway...

Miss Laura Llew

It’s not just my name. It is a command. I’m gone for the summer and does
anyone even notice my absence? No sirree (not even Ree!). No one writes. No
sonnets dedicated in my memory. No Petrarchs being resurrected for me. All I
want is a small statue made out of spam dedicated to my glory. Is this too
much to ask? I would even settle for a jello mold that kind of resembles me
if I were to tilt my head and squint my eyes but noooooooo.

To punish you all, I’m going to shock this list by actually posting some
musings over our favorite group, Pink Floyd. Erh.... No.  I mean that other
group we used to talk about. You know, the one with the guy with the twee
voice and that chic who plays cello with the healthy bum....

Is anyone else wondering when someone will stand up and take credit for
being the master behind the artwork that inspired the title for the new
album? Remember what James Carville (close enough) said about those who were
making claims about Bill Clinton’s deeds (Why are we just now calling him a
lame duck?) There’s no telling what you’ll get when you drag a 100 dollar
bill through a trailer park. Well, can you imagine what we’d find trolling
for a clever bathroom graffiti artists?

I had heard someone mention an article about Belle & Sebastian in a
respectable magazine like Time. (I like a group featured in Time? Am I
getting to be middle-aged already?)  I just happened to be in the Doctor’s
office a couple of weeks later and so I decided to hunt for it. A couple of
the other people in the waiting room gave me funny looks as I collected all
of the issues of Time in a neat pile (they’re printed weekly and I didn’t
know which issue it was in) and methodically went through each one skimming
for a picture of my future cabana boy.  When I would come up empty, I would
quickly discard the magazine - tossing it aside almost decapitating some
wary patients who soon learned the art of ducking.  Six knocked over lamps
later, I found it! Eureka! (but no pics of Stu in the bath tub).  I can’t
say a bad thing about Stu but the other members of the band were looking
kind of shady in their pictures, eh?  There was a 'precious' mention of The
Catcher in The Rye. The article quoted some internet fan as posting
something to the effect of, "The new Belle & Sebastian album is beautiful.
There is a God!!!"  Well, you know it wasn’t it from this list since it
became uncool to actually like the album. Ignore my cynicism and lets move
on to a deeper subject of discussion.

I somehow doubt that if there is a God he is going to display his presence
through a Scottish band’s album. Call me a religious elitist, I know. As all
southerners know, God only displays his presence through billboards with
witty saying like, "Nice wedding. Invite me to the marriage", "Which part of
'thou shalt not' did you not understand?",  "My way is the highway", "The
ten commandments aren’t multiple choice" and "If you use my name in vain
again, I’ll make the commute home longer".  Yes, billboards with these
sayings and then the name GOD penned under it pepper the Interstates of the
Southern United States. I’m not sure who sponsors them (some reason I think
the Almighty himself might choose a better color scheme then the pasty
drabness usually used) but I find them amusing as I’m cruising looking for
young impressionable boys in which I can sweet talk into buying me lots of
books.

Mmm, thinking of books I have a new recommendation. It’s a Belle and
Sebastian recommendation even and I expect you all to read it. I see you
sweating.Don’t worry it’s a children's book so there are lots of pretty
pictures.

The Book: Miss Rumphius
The Author: Cooney
The Belle & Sebby Song It Correlates With: I Could Be Dreaming.
The line: "Do something pretty while you can"

It won a book award and I find it quite nice. While I’m not as fond of it as
Dr. Seuss (who I sport socks dedicated to his characters daily) or "Tuesday"
(nothing like flying frogs!), I do find it to be a great book with a Belle
and Sebby theme. Rah!

If I had known that Julie was left by her lonesome in New York, I would have
dropped by while I was up there last weekend. Jules & I bonded after we both
found out that we had fallen in love with boys who had wandered into the
bookstore and bought a book of Dorothy Parker poetry. Oh the things that
will make young girls swoon!  We could have rented Twin Peaks and had a
marathon. A friend and I discussed once and figured the elements of such
would be coffee (well hot chocolate for me and not just because I put a fish
in the percolator), cherry pie, and a dead girl in a plastic bag for effect.
You have some extra roommates lying around, don’t you Julie? (Megan, be
thankful you’re in Oregon).  I checked out the movie "Laura" from the
Library this weekend. It is an older movie also featuring a dead girl named
Laura. I recommend it highly but then again I would.

And on a personal note (which is a bit flat) -  I went on my first solo
roadtrip! I have cut the US horizontally by car almost 10 times by now and
have taken it from every angle possible so I decided to go straight up to
New York.  It was just me, my car, a bag of salt & vinegar chips,
root beer, and some shoddy mix tapes. I disturbed myself by at one point
listening to music in alphabetical order. I had the Silver Jews, Silversun,
The Smiths, and then I started to scare myself so I threw in Simon &
Garfunkel to keep myself sane (probably the only time S&G’s music was used
for that purpose!). I drove the entirety of the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway
(a 500 mile scenic drive which cuts through the Blue Ridge Mountains which
run from Pennsylvania to Georgia. However, the parkway itself only covers
from North Carolina to the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia where it then turns
into Skyland Drive and you have to pay a whopping 10 dollars just to drive
the stinking road which has potholes! All I’m screaming, at the top of my
lungs like a demon possessed banshee and my  pocket 10 dollars lighter, is
that if I’m paying that much to drive a drive than I shouldn’t have to
replace two tires at the end of it. Plus, for ten bucks I could use some
entertainment like those deer that were just frolicking by the side of the
road at every curve should have some top hats on and some canes. I wanna a
musical! and maybe a back massage by the cute forest ranger who took my
money..). I also met my first Belle and Sebastian fan (besides the sleepy
eye girl that keeps haunting me in the mirror every time I brush my teeth in
the morning). We didn’t actually talk about the band but I did catch a
glimpse of the larger than Llew poster of Joy Division in their room and I
fell in love instantly. Don’t worry, it wasn’t anyone from the list so I’m
still a Sinister Virgin and Enigma.

I love you all. That other mailing list meant nothing to me.

Wawa Woo
(my twee name)
‘meeting all of your Laura Llew needs since 1977’

(Name Dropping Time)
PS - Willzebub Porter (aka Preposition Prince), I had to make sure you
didn’t get bored so I put gramatical errors by the spoonful in there just
for you. It has nothing at all to do with the fact that rereading what I’ve
written is more painful than a Kathy Lee Gifford cruise line commercial.

PPS- Velocity Girl, I hope your arm is healing painlessly. Being a
spinisterine you’re lucky it wasn’t your hip!

PPPS- Jan Imgrund will kick me but I’m my book list is becoming stale and I
need more recommendations to keep me busy. The current list is found at
http://perso.club-internet.fr/jimgrund/litlist.htm

PPPPS - Arantxa, I have fallen in love with you. Whether it’s your use of
sexy words like algonquin table or the fact your name reminds me of Anthrax,
I know not. Let's form some underground writing guild of some sort. Well,
we'll use that as a cover and in fact just meet and say snipey things to
each other.

PPPPPS -  I have also decided to adore William (Bill) Harris. Unless your
middle name is Andrew and you were born in 1974. Then,  I want my "Angle of
Repose" book and black fleece with the green trim back NOW, you petty little
thief.

PPPPPPS- Damon, I’m sorry I didn’t get in touch with you last week. There
were 'complications' but I’ll be back in the later part of September running
around the hospital in one of those gowns that don’t close in the back like
a wild wood nymph screaming for some pain
killers, a tongue depressor, and a stethoscope for a nifty little experiment
that I’ve been concocting in my mind for months now.

PPPPPPPS - Can Linda be bribed?

PPPPPPPPS - I need a new dark haired, book & pixie loving boy to develop a
crush on now that the fabled Jim Gilmer has quit the list in favor of some
writing camp with famous people mentoring him daily. Oh the pain!

PPPPPPPPPS - Can I make my PS’s longer than my actual posts? Dang, this
thing has been long. I'm sorry.