Sinister: Expensive bathos

Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk Nick.Dastoor at xxx.uk
Mon Jul 17 18:57:40 BST 2000

> Nick was spot on when he quoted Stuart's "playing in the band
> isn't a job that seven people's lives have to revolve around".

The funny thing is, I'd thought I'd made that quote up.  I must have an
exceedingly good claim to know the mind of Stuart Murdoch after all.  There was
a wanky thing in the Guardian Guide last Saturday, in which top TV psychologist
Oliver James offers some clues as to the mind of Eminem through an analysis of
his lyrics.  Apparently the 'loose chain of thought' displayed in The Real Slim
Shady 'has many parallels with the schizophrenic thought pattern'.   Beware
rambling posters.

Someone wanted to know what a Wooskie was.  Actually they wanted to know what a
Wooksie was, which might be different.  I think someone said 'Wooskie' is some
kind of nickname Stu D has for his wife Karn, but I might be wrong.  I don't
know why people get the 'k' and 's' the wrong way round.

It's sometimes interesting when people get lyrics consistently wrong.  In The
Selfish Gene's appendix, in the course of his exposition of his meme theory,
Richard Dawkins points out two examples and tries to account for them .  It's
"Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves" (ie. an exhortation, not the
descriptive 'Britannia rules the waves') and it's "We'll tak a cup o'kindness
yet / For auld lang syne" not  "For the sake of auld lang syne".   Perhaps it's
not interesting in the case of Winter Wooskie/Wooksie.   Residual memory traces
of Chewbacca, maybe.

In other news, Tom Ewing was a belated convert to Belle & Sebastian and their
mimsy voiced lead singer, but now he's kind of changed his mind again.  Have a
look at his long, thoughtful piece at http://www.freakytrigger.com/belleseb.html
and see what you think.  I think he misses the mark with a lot of what he says
but infuriatingly, I feel unable to articulate why.  I like his sideswipe at 'a
certain kind of listener [who] is going to like anything with boys and girls and
a bit of cheap bathos' though.

Nick xx