Sinister: the future of names

William Harris wmh74 at xxx.com
Wed Jul 19 08:13:41 BST 2000

Comrades. I've been bitten by the insomnia bug and have decided to let my
mind wander...

Random Thought for the Day:
I was recently browsing around on the Internet and keep getting little
messages, "Hello wmh74" or "Greetings wmh74." It was a little spooky, but it
sparked a thought. Perhaps, in some Orwellian future, we will all be known
by our e-mail addresses. This will be OK for people with pretty neat-o names
(pixidustlady I'm thinking of you). For far too many of us who were too lazy
or uncreative or just plain tired of trying different names, we will be
cursed with names like "wmh74."

"Oh, hello wmh74. How are you today?" Ugh. I suppose these names will be
like the name Smith or Jones (or Harris) now. Thoughts on this lame little
hypothesis?

Belle and Sebastian content:
I haven't yet chimed in on my take of the new album. I suppose I've got
nothing new or witty to add... I *like* it. A lot. But I don't love it like
the other albums. Yet. There doesn't seem to be a real flow in the sequence
of the songs. It's jumpy. Not too fond of Isobel's tunes either.

I was wondering about "The Chalet Lines" though. Why do you think Stuart
chose to sing the song instead of one of the lasses? I can see why they
might be worried Isobel's girlish/sweet/breathless voice might not fit the
subject matter (i.e. make it sound too cute), but it might also serve as a
shattering judgement... if it was sung in a kind of thin/transparent way, it
could imply (tonally) a loss of innocence--a kind of reminder of childhood
(of idealisms formed therein) and its new absence from the character's life.
Maybe I'm making too much of this and I'm sure you've all had your say on
the subject, but what of it? What do you make of Stuart singing the tune?

"Women's Realm" and "There's Too Much Love" make me smile. This is a very
good thing, of course, esp. since "There's Too Much Stress" might be the
title song of my life lately.

I'm interested in hearing what people think about the Amphetameanies (sp?).
Haven't heard them yet...what they like?

That's enough for now. I think I'll go read and try to fall asleep.

Smiles all around,

Bill/William

PS--Laura Llew. re: good reads. Try James Agee's "A Death in the Family."
The first twenty pages or so are the most beautiful prose I think I've ever
read. I'm not exaggerating. Also John Gardiner's "Grendel." A wonderful
re-telling of Beowulf through the monster's eyes.