Sinister: girls who are boys who like boys to be girls who do boys like they're girls who do girls like they're boys

James Thorniley james.thorniley at xxx.com
Wed Jul 19 12:01:01 BST 2000

Hello everyone :)

I suddenly feel nervous, I've done this loads before, but be gentle.

I thought I would post since I haven't in a while. I went to the first
half of the London picnic, which was lots of fun, so thanks to the
people who organised it and stuff, and hi to everyone I met there. I had
to go home a bit earlier than I might have liked to go babysitting,
eurgh. Someone was talking about people laughing at books while they're
on underground trains, which is ironic because the woman opposite me on
the tube back was laughing at a book, it was by Bridget Jones. Should
that be? She probably looked perfectly sensible compared to me almost
sobbing when A Century of Fakers came on my walkman. Ok, I didn't really
sob (thank god), but that song always makes me feel sad, which is stupid
I know.

Guildford recently got it's first Starbucks, which is mildy interesting
cos you would have thought a town this big would have had one for a
while, but other than that it's a completely boring fact.

Right here goes, a crap poem:

Ode to Laura Llew (composed out of fear of her wrath)

Laura Llew, the alluring lady of the listcrush,
whose leaving leaves the list lamenting a loss,
lives a life of loveliness in libra*.
But whose own loveliness has the lasses lime with longing,
for the lads of the list lust for her lushiousness.
But such levity lends them to alliterative limericks**
that never get finished because they run out of words.

God how embarrasing is that. Sorry if you find that offensively crap,
dear Laura, but you were demanding poetry (now you know why you
shouldn't make careless wishes, you might just get what you ask for).

I think I will send it anyway since I might as well give you all
something to laugh at me for. The lovely Laura Llew was also looking for
book recommendations. I would say the dictionary is a very handy one,
particularly when attempting to write alliterative poetry, which we do
all the time of course.

I seem to have use our Lord's name in vain twice during this post. I
won't go into a big theological discussion (hopefully), but I really
must say I agree with whoever said he didn't see why you have to be the
people God wants you to be. I don't see why you shouldn't be what you
want to be, like native Americans (or Aborigines, or African tribes or
pagans or hippies) don't believe in having to do what some omnipotent
being says, and they're not the ones who are building nuclear weapons
and stuff. I'm not saying you shouldn't be Christian or anything, it's
you're own choice, so probably none of this is worth saying, so I'll
stop now.

Just a quite note to say I think Canada is a great place too, even
though I've never been there. Fraser off Due South is a bit of a hero of
mine. America is cool too though, it's got a nasty stereotype of being
cold and capitalist, but you can't judge a country by it's politicians,
it's full of cool people who want to be Canadian.

Anyway stay happy everyone :)

Bye bye x
James Thorniley

*As I understand, it's alright to use bad latin in poetry.
**Yes, I know it's not a limerick but I needed a word for poem that
begins with L.