Sinister: Blame it on the weatherman...

David White david at xxx.uk
Wed Jul 19 15:05:33 BST 2000

There's some interesting news at the end of this post if you want to cut to
the chase.

**Weather**
The wonderfully named Kate Funky wrote:
>but i'm in melbourne and
>it's winter. i'm at my parents house in the country and it's bloody
>freezing. so all of you northern hemisphere people remember how lucky you
>are right now...
Yeah right 'cos the weathers always great over here you know, never rains or
blows a gale, oh no, it's positively paradise all year round in good old
Britain. Get real girl. Why do you think people emigrate to Australia?
(apart from the better standard of living so I'm told) It's cos the
weather's always shite over here. Summer lasts about 2 days and then it's
winter for the next 363. You Australians don't know how lucky you are!!!

**Canadians**
As for Canadians being cool, I'm sure there are some but don't forget this
is the country that gave us Celine Dione so they sure as hell aren't all
cool.

**Religion**
Religion annoys me. I'm not against religious people but I do wish they
wouldn't foist their opinions on those who are not interested (like that
Gouranga lot who literally chase you down the street).
I always try to put religion into perspective by thinking of all the trouble
it causes between different cultures and how different it might be if it
were not for religion. And of course the question that is guaranteed to shut
up any religious person: "If there is a God, why do people die in plane
crashes?" I've never heard anybody justify that one.
Lawrence said:
>you'd be hard pressed to find a culture which doesn't have a some concept
of
>God
True most cultures have some God thing going on but it's still generally "a
fictional character designed to strike fear into the hearts of the masses"
is it not?
Lawrence also makes some interesting points about the good people have done
(Mother Teresa et al) but is it not the case that people do good things
sometimes just because they are good people and not necessarily cos they are
religious? Why does spouting forth about religion make somebody a better
person than say the bloke in the street that buys a Big Issue or puts a
pound in a charity box but never goes to church. For every Baptist minister
that lets prostitutes stay in his house, there are thousands of
non-religious people who do good things but we tend to ignore them and look
for the bad bits of our society cos it makes more interesting news
headlines.

**Jobs**
I've been looking for a job recently and have been pissed off by the
attitude of some companies towards applicants for graduate positions. Take
today for instance I phoned Vodafone having seen their graduate application
bit on their website which asked applicants to phone before applying. I
phoned them up and they asked what my first degree was in. I did chemistry
for my sins so I told her that and she said the only positions for people
with a chemistry degree were in finance. I told her that didn't interest me
but that I had a postgrad degree in IT and wanted a job in that field. But
she insisted they only judged people on their first degree and that I could
only apply for finance (although the website told me they were looking for
IT people). What is the point of that? If I wanted a job based on my first
degree I wouldn't have done a postgrad course.
Another major consultancy firm told me they weren't interested in me cos I
"didn't meet the criteria for career focus and leadership potential". Now I
may not be brilliant but how the f*ck can they deduce this on the strength
of a bloody application form? I could appreciate their sentiments if they
had bothered to meet me and made the effort to find out my career focus and
leadership potential but they didn't. They're all bastards these big
corporations and to be honest I'd be quite glad not working for them when
they seem to put people into categories based on the little information they
get.

**Content**
I received the following email to www.belleandsebastian.freeserve.co.uk:
"Screamadelica proudly presents another monthly special featuring DJ Richard
Colburn (Belle and Sebastian), Snow Patrol (live), Estel (live) plus special
guest DJ David Cleary.
Thursday 3rd August @ Temple Bar Music Centre, Dublin 8pm - 2.30am"
Hope this is of interest to somebody out there.

Later,

David
david at djwhite47.freeserve.co.uk
www.belleandsebastian.freeserve.co.uk