Sinister: party people

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Thu Jul 20 06:05:54 BST 2000

Lawrence didn't seem to mind that what I had to say about the Chills
wasn't very complimentary.

Keith, by writing, brought up 'our peppermint scene'.  That's one of my
favorite tracks on Kinky Cinema, too.  Stuart's solo project should be a
collaboration with John McKeown!  It could be funny, but each should sing
in his own style.

Keith also wrote:
> i read the freaky trigger bit, it is more of the whole
> music as an empirical science type of writing ...

> most articles about the band can not
> escape a mention of the fans, the sad fans, the weepy
> pathetic boys and the rest of the lot.

Yeah, that was the part of the article that I found most objectionable,
Knowing about scenes and such is not just a rock/pop historian's expert
information; it interferes.  And what we say, we're saying to ourselves,
right?

But I thought the parts of the article on the songs were well written and
reflected a judgment that I could trust. There's a film critic for the LA
Times, Kevin Thomas, who usually reviews films that I want to see and with
whose judgments I agree.  They might have figured it all out in marketing
(Kenneth Turan for old rich people), but it's nice to think that it's a
matter of personal taste. Tom Ewing reviewed Smog, something I don't have,
but I thought he really got it right when he said that the songs are
affecting because they are unassuming.

On the plane back to Ohio, I sat next to a girl with red hair who looked
like she should be callled Caddy.  She had a cold and kept on pushing the
button for the flight attendant to ask for glasses of juice and tissue.
When they came to collect trash, she had the used pieces of tissue on the
table for the empty seat between us, and there was a moment of hesitation
before the flight attendant pushed forward the bag for her to pick them up
and throw them away.  I remember when we first sat down, she asked "Having
fun?" (what a nice neutral line!), and though I usually hate starting
conversations right from the start cos then there's the pressure to keep
it up for the entire flight, I found myself warming to her.  We actually
didn't talk much, but when we were about to land in Texas for the
stopover, she asked me, "Do you think God wants to have a personal
relationship with you?".  I wanted to laugh.  That was rude and not how I
wanted to feel about the situation.  I couldn't find an answer, so I just
agreed to her suggestion that I hadn't thought about it.  And maybe I
hadn't in the way that she meant.

Yours,
Youn