Sinister: I guess I just wasn't made for these times...

Walkn10 at xxx.com Walkn10 at xxx.com
Fri Jul 21 07:52:23 BST 2000

Bon soir,

Arrrrggggg...for the past week my mind hasn't been at ease for more than 5
minutes and I think I'm slowly driving myself insane!  My band goes back into
the studio next Monday through Thurs to record a 6 or 7 song EP, and since
its still in a late stage of completion with one weekend left, the stress is
crippling me.  We recorded a 5 song EP in October, but I had little if any
expectations for that album, so when it turned out really well I was simply
overjoyed.  For this recording, we're trying to really push ourselves to make
the most of each and every note on the album and everyone is slowly realizing
that we're just not having as much fun writing these songs as before.
Perhaps one could blame it on the steady diet of Pet Sounds and Ok Computer
we've been digesting for the past year or so, but listening to great works of
art and then comparing them to your own measely attempts at greatness is just
insanity, but its what we're doing.  We're so hyper-analytical of ourselves
its a miracle any of these songs were written to begin with.  I'm just so
terrified of making the same record twice that I'm trying to push each and
every button on this recording until its entirely different than its
predecessor, which I know doesn't give the song its proper room to breathe
every now and again.
During the entire writing/recording process of October, I was really into
religion at that time so I just put the entire thing in God's hands every
night and miraculously things worked out beyond all hopes and dreams.  Now,
the cynic has crawled back to the forefront of me, and he has promptly
sweeped the room of any traces of beliefs in Greater Beings (tm); now, I
don't have that one guiding light that comforts me everytime a jam session
goes awry or the clarinet line doesn't quite gel with the guitar.  As a
result, I'm totally running myself into the ground trying to be the next
Brian Wilson, or at least trying to think of new ways to expand our sound,
and I'm not sure its to the benefit of the songs.  Any advice on matters such
as these would be extremely appreciated right about now because not too many
people in this town are artistic or neurotic, much less both.  I'm sure
everyone who cares about their art at one time or another says to himself
"What are you trying to say?  Do you even have anything to say?  Why are you
doing this?  Is this really the best you can do?" and so on and so forth, and
its extremely troubling.  I guess its these internal debates that keep us
pushing for the next hurdle with the intent of clearing it, and as Marx says
"as each person advances his or her art, likewise the human race evolves."
I'm sorry this had no B&S content.  Hmmm...well, in August a band called
Camera Obscura is playing Washington, DC.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but
didn't Struan once play in a band called Camera Obscura or am I mixing things
up?
Love and Hot Freaks...

Steve C.

"Which Paul?" "BLAH!"

visit http://callowkids.tripod.com or your crush will hate you forever

Call WRNR 103.1 at (410) 269-1031 and request Callow's "Lessons in Shut-eye"
or you will have bad luck...forever or something.