Sinister: critics whistle in the blue sky

William Harris wmh74 at xxx.com
Sat Jul 22 07:43:04 BST 2000

Comrades. Since I've been on this list (admittedly a very short period of
time) I've been pleased to see all the links to Belle and Sebastian related
articles and criticism (thanks to all who take the time to find and then
post them--lord knows I'm too lazy...).

The link that was posted the other day by (oops...can't remember
who...sorry) seemed to ruffle some feathers. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to
get the link (I'm not so computer savvy so I didn't know any "tricks" to
getting there after my initial attempt was refused). Anyway, I ran across
this quote while reading the other day that might just hearten those who
find the band (or themselves) criticized for any artistic endevour...

"Note just what it is about your work that critics don't like--then
cultivate it. That's the part of your work that's individual and worth
keeping."--Jean Cocteau.

Admittedly, Cocteau wasn't talking specifically about music, but anyway...

Religion: It doesn't seem anyone has really found an answer to this question
for thousands of years. This doesn't mean, of course, that one should not
try. I'm reminded of a story about a Buddist monk who was teaching/training
his "disciples" (for lack of a better word) and who was attempting to get
his students to throw away *all* previous belief systems. One young student
finally got fed up with all this and went to the teacher/monk and told him,
"Listen, I just can't do this. I'm only human and I need something to
believe in. I need some firm ground to stand on." (Obviously, I'm
paraphrasing here). The monk/teacher asked his student in return,
"Precisely. But *who* are you?" (BTW--the monk was not just trying to
indoctrinate the students with Buddist dogma, but rather trying to help them
grasp a firmer understanding of themselves--which, I guess, is Buddist
dogma--ahhhhh!)

I guess what I get from this little anecdote is that religion/belief should
be found through intense examination of the self and what seems right for
you. If one finds out who one is, then one finds out what one believes. This
is simplistic, I know, but really seems to be the only way to achieve any
kind of spiritual/religious belief. Ideally, all paths lead to the same
place and different people find different ways to get there. The problems
arise when one person or group of people feel that their way is the *only*
way and therefore must convert others to that belief system (esp. by
intimidating people literally and with threats of "burning in hell").
Perhaps I've over stayed my welcome on this thread...

Enjoy the weekend and hugs all around,

Bill

Always remember: "It's a short walk from the hallelujah to the
hoot."--Nabokov