Sinister: pastures in the sea

Youn J. Noh ynoh at xxx.edu
Mon Jul 24 09:21:48 BST 2000

Hi again,

Sorry for posting so much.  It's just that I'm driving myself a bit mad
lately.

Hurray for Fiats. You've got to love them.  Boxy cars are great, much
better than the inflated balloon-like cars of today.  (What I mean
is that Fiats seem to adhere to an older standard.)  And GREEN. What
style!  They have all these neat compact models in Europe that they don't
have over here.

I beat down Maria Sierra's inbox requesting a translation.  Maybe I've not
given her enough time to respond, but maybe the incredibly generous
Spanish speaking members on the list could do a joint translation - one
paragraph each?  I think there was something about discos in the article.

Yesterday I listened to Eleanor Rigby and was amazed by the strings.  I'm
glad no one reads my posts that carefully: I claimed contradictorily to
dislike the strings in There's Too Much Love but to like the chord
progression type thing in it, which Nick had said was in the strings.  I
think I'm straight about that now; but the strings don't seem exceptional,
just the normal way they're used to 'wax ecstatic' (yeah, that sounds
lame).  But on Eleanor Rigby, it's like you can feel the bow against the
strings.  It's lovely.  I hope you listen to it.

Kevan wrote in his occasional post, of much more use than an occasional
table:
brian, i definitely remember you complaining that
stevie is always doing that choppy steve cropper
guitar thing. it's good to hear "there's too much
love" proving that he's learnt to do seventies stax
guitar sounds as well as the sixties ones - and on
the same song too! no wonder everyone loves it.

I guess the seventies stax stuff will just be the parts that aren't choppy
steve cropper, which is like in You're Just a Baby, right?  I'll have to
listen for that.  But sixties guitar sounds fine by me, and it looks so
good when they play that way.  I think I just like abrasiveness - I was
thinking of the affinity between playing the guitar that way and the
violin.

I think I get Family Tree now.  It's supposed to be a humorous light song,
but Isobel's mincing tones don't exactly come across as funny.  And
there's nothing wrong with babies.  Sometimes I think I would just like to
keep house and daydream while dusting bookshelves.  Slow laborious
movement and filmy curtains.

Much love,
Youn