Sinister: New Diary of a Band

Mick Cooke meanies at xxx.uk
Mon Jul 24 22:41:57 BST 2000

DIARY OF A BAND
24th July 2000

As you'll probably know, Belle and Sebastian aren't playing any gigs for
the rest of the year, but suffice to say we'll definitely be back playing
gigs early next year. It was always the way; when the band started there
was an unwritten agreement between everyone that the band would never
become everything in our lives, that there would always be room for people
to do other things. The band's future would most certainly be in jeopardy
if it was all everyone did 12 months out of the year.

In the meantime, I've been getting back to the shop floor. Last Friday I
was trailing the record shops of Edinburgh with Gordy of the
Amphetameanies, putting up posters for the 'Meanies album, and trying to
punt copies to the indie shops the distributors missed. We had a brilliant
time, and it put me in mind of the time Stuart, Richard and others did the
same with Tigermilk when it was first released. In fact, the proprietor of
the smaller Avalanche on Lady Lawson Street showed me the Tigermilk poster
Stuart hand delivered in '96, which the proprietor claims he had to rescue
from a refuse skip after it had been discarded during a clearout of the
shop. The shop's brilliant though, total 'High Fidelity', as is Professor
Plastic's Vinyl Exchange on West Richmond Street, where my friend Keith
tells me the owner demands that his clients always refer to him as
'Professor'. We're planning a similar jaunt to London soon.

I am also playing a bit with Snow Patrol. They are playing the Witness
festival outside Dublin at the start of August. Richard and myself are
DJ'ing too which I hear has somehow been blown into the rumour that Belle
and Sebastian are playing a live gig there.

Unfortunately, the practise schedule for the festival was hindered somewhat
after the singer Gary fell down the stairs one night at the Glasgow Art
School after a particularly heavy session, busting his eye and developing
severe concussion. By the time the ambulance arrived, Gary had locked
himself in the toilet, refusing to come out. Having eventually made it to
casualty, he further delayed proceedings by locking himself in the toilet
once more. He's okay now though, and has just phoned me to say that a
practise is to be booked for this afternoon, and that he'd phone back in
five minutes. That was nearly an hour ago. Perhaps the concussion has not
fully worn off.

Mick Cooke