Sinister: return of faith

ineffable mindmonkey1 at xxx.com
Thu Jul 27 17:40:17 BST 2000

Dear All,

Apologies for not posting to the list for the last few weeks.  I had a bit
of a loss of faith a while back but rather than 'unsubscribe' I thought I
would voluntarily 'return to the nursery' - read and say nothing for a while
and see what happens.  I have this image, that may well be wrong, that the
bulk of the list are white, middle class, fey, educated, romantic
individuals.  But I also began reading a lot of stuff on the list about what
one can or cannot post and was a bit alarmed - I thought "have the twee
become fascists?" and then I remembered that some of the Nazi's supporters
were these middle class, folky agrarians who had rather strong beliefs about
stuff and I panicked and bailed out for a while....  Now I am reassured to
see that the blessed reign of liberalism has once again taken hold and
things are more relaxed again.  Although I did notice a post from 'freind of
honey' telling us all off - which was kind of good/bad - is liberal
oppression better than any other or am I just missing something?
Facetious/pedantic point - if we are not 'allowed' to discuss list content
on the list then how do we reply to one another's postings?  Is each mail
meant to be a discrete fragment of consciousness unrelated to thatb posted
prior?  A community discussion cannot help but discuss what has gone on
within it.  Again, I may be being an idiot here...

So anyway I think you are all marvellous.  Perhaps all the students have
returned to the internet or something.  I even began thinking - perhaps
because I was born when we last had a labour government I am
constitutionally different to all these 'Thatcher's children..'

What else can I tell you?  I think that the version of 'The State I am In'
on the EP is better than that on Tigermilk.  You all know that I like
'Electronic Renaissance'.  Why do we not talk about 'we Rule the School' (or
whatever it is called) - surely this is their greatest song in the world
ever.  I'm not much of a classical buff but isn't there some sort of Bach
theme running through it?  I am happy to be corrected on this - all I know
about classical music is from TV commercials.  Have converted my sister to
B+S - Tigermilk as b'day present and tape of 'best of the rest' for her to
take to Corfu to listen to whilst sun bathing.  My flatmate is threatening
to kill me if I keep playing B+S - he seems immune.  I fear he has no taste
as he even bought a 'Deep Forest' album back in the early '90s.  Truly
ghastly.

To our American brethren - is the X-men movie any good?  I used to read the
comics when a child and thought they were marvellous and am excited about
the film.  I do think that Canadians are cool in reponse to a listee wishing
he was from Canada.  I have the honour of working with two people from
Canada who are both spangly and drink lots of Martini and have 'lime dash'
in their lager. Does anyone remember spangles?

I am not a great one for reading the lyrics to songs inside the album cover
(too influenced by REM when young) and thought that 'Chalet Lines' was about
the rape of a male which was why I thought it was quite an interesting song
- I presumed 'the test' referred to HIV or something and it was only when I
heard about the vomitting I cottoned on....  I think my version would have
been better.

Confession - I too found the 'Pink Floyd' discussions rather dull - I have
never knowingly listened to a 'Pink floyd' (although I guess I would
recognise a few if I heard them) and only learned what 'prog rock'was a few
weeks ago.  Sounds awful - although I did mention if Bach was in a B+S
song....  But the point is that a lot of people did like it or find it
interesting judged by the amount of mail the list received on related topics
- surely any issue can only be judged on similar terms?  If people mail
about it, it should be on the list.  A sort of ideological survival of the
fittest.  Those of us who do not like the subject in question just ride it
out.

I am off to Oxford tomorrow night for a Tapas party and Saturday am back in
God's own S. London for BBQ of party-crazy Brazilians I work with.  Should
be fun.  I enjoyed my experience of the London picnic.

So there we are.  Keep up the good work.  I am going to retire home and
drink icy Absolut this evening and perhaps listen to some music...

MM