Sinister: waiting for buffy...

rachel tucker rachtuc at xxx.com
Fri Jul 28 22:51:38 BST 2000

howdy peeps

it was my birthday on monday, i made it to 18! i'm a proper adult now, no
really, i am... the fact that i'm skint, unemployed, bludging off my
parents, smoking far too much shit and generally behaving like a student
does not undermine my credibility as a responsible member of society.

though i was under the impression that responsible members of society do
more than turn up back home in the middle of the day hardly able to stand,
forgetting both my keys and that my mum and dad both work, decide to break
in to the garden and 'rest' on the patio, where i was woken up by my
hysterical mum 5 hours later thinking i'd died or something, go back to bed
and then have my alarm clock go off so i could get up for my 'this life'
fix...

alright, that wasn't a typical day, that was yesterday. today i, ermmm, got
up at half three, made a tape, made some pasta, errmm that was it really. i
can't be arsed to go out, and besides the 'ex-boyf, guy i cheated on ex-boyf
with, and guy i actually have heart pumping crush on' situation is so tense,
stressful and fucking complicated i only go to the pub now if i'm feeling
particuarly masochistic. which today i'm not. i would go back to bed but
buffy is on tonight and i missed it on wednesday.

also, i'm waiting for the result of oxford's pre season friendly against
chelsea. it's really dumb, i decided that there was no way i was paying out
a tenner for another bloody friendly (the one against birmingham was SO
godawful that i nearly phoned back the job i'd just turned down because i'd
have to work 3 out of 4 saturdays and ask them to save me from soul crushing
boredom that oxford united inflict upon their fans, and that i'd work every
goddam saturday going...), and that i didn't care, it's completely
meaningless, yet i've spent all of this evening desperately not listening to
radio oxford's commentary. it's worse than actually being there...that may
not be strictly true...

anyway, only 5 minutes left now till i can switch the radio on, yay!

mark said:

Last week I went to a gig by Holy Roman Empire, who are my favourite Oxford
band at the moment.

and i say:

fantastic!!! i cannot seriously believe that someone other than me likes,
nay loves the mighty HRE. they are an...experience. to say the least. if
anyone gets the chance to see them please GO! you may wish to never see them
again, but there is always the chance you'll come away with a grin to split
your face and be unable to stop smiling for the rest of the week. and anyone
on the tape tree can blame mark for my inclusion of the empire's mighty piss
take/major improvement on radiohead's street spirit. i wasn't going to put
it on the tape i made today, but after finding out there is someone else on
the list who might possibly appreciate it, i've gone ahead...sorry...it
could be (worse? better?), i could have put the oxford united mix of 'holy
water baby' on...

oh. we lost 5-1. bugger. knew i should have taken that bloody job.

i got the new jeff noon book for my birthday, 'needle in the groove'. it is
brilliant, it really is. the way noon manipulates language, wow,
unbelievable. he is also one of the few writers who i think can write about
music, any music, without being cliched or cringeworthy. it's a headfuck of
a book to be honest. once you're in there's no leaving it alone, it really
gets under your skin.

don't you just hate it when you can't write your posts all in one go?
because i'm such a slow typist there is more of a chance that during the
course of me trying to write something i'll get interrupted. and as per
usual i just have been. the phone's going berserk!! (i've never written
'berserk' before, it looks dead weird. probably spelt wrong). that would be
cool had i wanted to speak to any of the people on the other end, but as
with most of my friends and family, i didn't. and now you all have to suffer
a disjointed post. sorry.  my dad (who's in berlin drinking. lots by the
sounds of it) was the first wanting a full match report. he hung up when i
told him i didn't actually go.

bless him though, he paid half my reading ticket for me (though i did have
to sign - with witnesses! - the i.o.u for the other half, damn) and it came
this week. i am tres excited, primal scream, badly drawn boy, the delgados,
eminem, gorky's, idlewild, super furry's, ooberman AND(subliminal message:
go see, go see) theanimalhouse ALL ON THE SAME BILL!!! i can't believe it!
and for nostalgia's sake i can see oasis for the very first time, which had
this been six years ago i would be wetting myself over in sheer
overexcitement, like the time i nearly walked into mark owen...no i was
speaking figuratively, i didn't REALLY wet myself. honest.

no really, i didn't.

just hyperventilated and needed my inhaler.

and that was due to lung abuse, not the fact that i had nearly walked into
one of my ALL TIME HEROES/POP KID CRUSHES. honestly. please believe me...

okay, on that note i think it may be time to wind this baby up. i started
typing at 9:15 and now it's 10:42, i wasn't even on the phone THAT long...

man, all that effort and sod all of any interest to show for it...

and the whole three dots thing (which is called an ellipsis y'know) is
pissing me off now, it just makes me look dumb like i don't know how to
finish a sentence properly, or i've run out of things to say or something.
well, anything coherent anyway. which could be true.

so

lots of love and hugs people

rachel xxxx