Sinister: Anchovy Dreams & Other Good Things

Rachel Taylor therach at xxx.com
Sun Jul 30 04:23:55 BST 2000

Hello List!
Everyone seems to be a bit moody lately, hmm? The list has been reading
like a cloudy day, forecasts of gloom.
Have you ever felt like you were stuck being a character in a poorly
written, poorly acted, foreign film? That is how I have felt the past
few weeks. I can't quite put my finger on why exactly, but everything
just feels so vague, and murky. I go through the day in sort of a daze,
always with this feeling that something monumental and interesting is
getting ready to happen and then it doesn't, so I start again the next
day. It isn't really a bad feeling, I'm not complaining- it just feels
off kilter, like I am wearing someone else's life.
I have been having this one dream over and over again, with some
variation. It isn't really a Belle and Sebastian dream per se, although
they play in the background- it isn't about them.
In my dream I am always at home half asleep in new pajamas (one of my
favorite things) and the phone rings. I answer it and it is this boy I
love (who doesn't exist in real life) and he wants me to come over.
Which thrills me, even though I know it isn't smart to go over so late,
I don't want him to get the wrong idea, you know. So I kind of put him
off a bit- ask him why I need to go over there. And he gets all
desperate sounding and starts talking about how much he needs more of
the gourmet anchovies I gave him before. And so I go and rummage through
my cupboard and I get all stressed out looking for this one particular
kind of tin of special anchovies. And I have all these regular tins of
anchovies, and even gourmet tins of special sardines, and in some dreams
I have a few tins of gourmet anchovies but they are never the right
variety, never the ones he wants, and so the dream always ends with me
staring into this cabinet all upset because if I just had the right kind
of anchovies I could have the man of my dreams, but I don't have them
so  he won't ever be mine.
The weird thing (aside from the obvious) is that I have never eaten an
anchovy or sardine to my knowledge. I have most certainly never
purchased any kind of tin of them, but most definitely not a Gourmet
tin. None of my dream interpretation books mention tins of fish, so I am
at a loss. Maybe I should buy a few, just in case...I mean what if Mr.
Right were to come calling?
I just really needed to share that with someone whose facial expressions
or snide remarks I can't see or hear. Thanks.
Rachel