Sinister: poetry question

FoxInASnow at xxx.com FoxInASnow at xxx.com
Thu Jun 1 01:11:09 BST 2000

> I have a poetry question,and seeing as we're getting back into the poetry
>  spirit..what is 'troaich triameter'?it would be much appreciated.I can't
>  find anything on it,but maybe I am spelling wrong. See,I get bonus marks
if
>  I write a poem in that style,but my english teacher wouldn't define it for
>  me,he merely smiled and shook his head mysteriously...ohh!

Oh oh oh, i KNOW this one.

A trochee goes DA dah, like heartbreak or warthog or tunesmith. And trimeter
just means three feet per line, so each line of a poem in trochaic trimeter
would go DA da DA da DA da. Other words to impress your teacher are: iamb (da
DA, like in "iambic pentameter," five feet per line of da DAs, like
Shakespeare used - iambs are the closest to natural speech), dactyl (DA da
da), anapest (da da DA), and spondee (DA DA or any other absence of the other
four patterns).

Trying to think of an example, the first bit of trochaic trimeter i came up
with was: "If you want my body, and you think i'm sexy, come on sugar let me
know" though that features an extra beat at the end, the "know," so it isn't
quite technically trimeter in the last line. Ha.

Good thing for my English major. Why doesn't the poetry parrot visit ME?

Jess