Sinister: Murdoch is unusually handsome

St=?ISO-8859-1?B?6Q==?=phane Buron buron at xxx.com
Fri Jun 2 10:13:48 BST 2000

Salut !

I'm not trying to pretend i'm an intellectual because i speak french, you
know (cf jarkko's post). i'm french, that's all. well, nick asked a good
question in his last post. he gave us interesting articles to read, too,
which is cool. Thanks, nick. The same Nick also wrote :

>>B&S is sometimes called the biggest swindle of the 90's. The last band to get
> that
>>treatment was the La's ... Do you feel honoured ?
>
> What?  He's making it up!  Has anyone here ever heard them them described as
the
> 'biggest swindle of the 90s'?  Is the interviewer mixing up Belle & Sebastian
> and the Mirror Group pension fund?  Those crazy French!  Or has it lost
> something in translation?

hum, i'm not sure, maybe "swindle" sounds weird to your english ears... but
that's the way a french "journalist" used to describe b&s success a few
months ago : he thinks b&s are not only *influenced* by the bands of the
past like Love, Felt or the Velvet ; they have just *stolen* chords and
melodies and tricks to become successful ; there's nothing original in them
; they haven't invented anything ; and the fact that they refuse to talk to
journalist is a marketing strategy, you know.
i think this journalist would like S. Wells. Maybe they're even friends.
He's the kind of guy who writes, in each of his reviews, that "the new album
of (insert any name here) is better than any record made by b&s". i've read
this kind of "judgement" in 4 or 5 reviews, you know. i find it very funny.
This guy likes Baxendale though.
By the way, the baxendale album was released three weeks ago in France. can
you believe it ? and it's excellent. you really should go and read the
review by Alistair Fitchett on his Tangents site. i'm really jealous: i wish
i could write like him. this text is fantastic, even more that the album
reviewed. by the way, alistair, are you still alive on this list ?

bien le bonjour chez vous

Stéphane