Sinister: alone here miming songs to myself

Scott Plagenhoef splag at xxx.net
Fri Jun 2 18:58:44 BST 2000

hi:

Vicki questioned Nick's hope that B&S becomes the new teen dream:
Are you kidding? Don't you remember those teenyboppers (the girls that
end their name in "i" because ys are ugly) in high school? Once they get
wise of the Sinister list they'll clog up our inbox with messages like "Oh,
Stuart looks SOOOO cute with that earring on the NME cover." and "Who are
The Smiths?"

Well, I'm not sure that they will clog the Sinister List, but if they listen
to Belle and Sebastian and turn around and then wonder "Who are the Smiths?"
(or Orange Juice, Felt, the Clientele, the Velvet Underground and so on)
that's good -- and I reckon that's exactly Nick's point.

Way back when there was a bit of scuttlebutt and/or hullabaloo about the
etchings on B&S's and others vinyl records. I can't remember if the mystery
of who exactly is Tim D. was ever solved, because I may not have been paying
as close attention as I should have, but examination of the Legal Man 7´´
and 12´´ reveals that "Tim D." is present, but the word "masterpiece" which
had been scrawled on the rest of the band's work is absent. A sly editorial
comment then?

Our server has been a bit disagreeable today, so I apologize if this has
been covered, but as a boorish American I must wonder if bands typically
play live on TOTP. I have seen a few and some reputable types seemed to lip
synch (e.g. Pulp). Is it de rigueur to pantomime and the NME is just taking
a childish swipe without cause? That said, the lip synching still is a bit
disappointing.

Oh, I saw Primal, er, PRML SCRM last night and they played "Velocity Girl"
and dedicated it to Struan. No, of course they didn't, but they did a lot of
shouty sloganeering and I witnessed a girl in a spaghetti-strap summer dress
and her investment bankeresque boyfriend snog and dance unironically and
unaware to a man shouting "Ooh Aah Hezbollah" at them.

Don't Primal Scream have members in their group that won't bother with the
press as well? Seems to me that's just like the current state of B&S then
except that with our gang the anti-press rhetoric is magnified because its
the frontman that doesn't do the interviews.

It was noted previously that the beginning on June sees an unnatural
convergence of tasty summer sounds hitting the virtual shelves. If the
Tugboat release schedule is to be believed, in addition to the out-now
Clientele EP, Our Belles, Baxendale, and the UK release of the sumptuous 69
Love Songs, June 12th brings the second single from the outstanding,
original Life Without Buildings and the debut full-length from
Katrina-endorsed Australian lovelies Sodastream. Yum.

sorry to bore, I needed an out-of-work experience. Eight hours til
margaritas. Enjoy the weekend,
scott.