Sinister: The taste of rain

Mr Smiley smiley at xxx.uk
Fri Jun 2 17:03:18 BST 2000

Dear Sinister,

    It's been one of those days. To start off with, I woke up to find I had
contracted a nasty disease which is known to affect students doing their A
levels and is caused by revision - it's called can't-be-arsed-itus. To
relieve the symptoms, I wandered into town with a friend. Alas this didn't
do me much good, and as soon as I got home I was again feeling restless.
    At this point I wondered if one of the unknown symptoms of
can't-be-arsed-itus was the development of a serious Hefner obsession... it
appears that it is.
    I finally gave up thinking about how much revision I could have done in
the time it takes to listen to two Hefner albums, and went out for a walk. I
took my camera in case I had any interesting thoughts I wanted to capture
along the way.
    I scurried across the bypass and lo, I was in the countryside. I thought
about going to have a chat with the cows, and maybe take a picture of one.
The cows were no-where to be seen though. I couldn't remember exactly at
which point in the year the farmer takes away his cows and kills them, but I
was pretty sure it wasn't this early. I kept walking. I started to cheer up
a bit, I was enjoying listening to the birds and I was enjoying the taste of
rain. At the end of the field I found the cows. They'd all huddled together
where the gate to the little lane I needed to get to were.
    Now, unlike some people I could mention, I'm not afraid of cows. I quite
like them actually. I'm pretty sure they're telepathic, because they always
seem to start moving at once. Anyway, even though I fear no cattle, I
decided against walking over a load of cows to get to my destination. I
thought about taking a picture of one, but then a cow that hadn't had the
horns bred out of it yet stood up and looked vaguely menacing. Of course
just after this all the others stood up, so I decided I'd be better off
turning round and heading home, savouring he taste of rain... and looking
over my shoulder every now and then.

    I still haven't revised for my English exam properly... and it's on
Monday morning. Well, I think as soon as that exam finishes I'm *sprinting*
to the car park, quite literally burning rubber into town (it doesn't matter
that it's pedestrianised, nobody really believes that anyway. That's just
what the council think it is) and I'm going to Our Price. Of course, having
to park the car might waste time, so I think I'll just drive through the
front window of Our Price, stop just short of the counter and say "excuse me
good sir! A copy of the new Belle & Sebastian album, if you would".
    Or I might park at the library and just do things the normal way, I
haven't decided yet. Oh and if it isn't in Our Price... well sod the
environment, I'm driving to Sheffield.

Platonic hugs,
Mike
ICQ: 73775341