Sinister: Too weird to live, too rare to die!

Iain Radcliffe iaradcliffe at xxx.com
Fri Jun 2 21:08:56 BST 2000

Hey!
What's wrong with you? You're lookin' kind of down to me.
Crap lurex if you will. I prefer:
"And now we rise, and we are everywhere"
which features on the back on Nick Drake's grave in Tanworth-in-Arden.
And:
"Could you put a name to someone else's sigh?
Could you put a face to someone else's eyes?"
Lovely.
Just saw TOTP.
Regarding Jason <grins> Andreas' thoughts on miming, I think it's actually
quite good if you're a cool and non-mainstream act appearing on TOTP, to
take the piss out of the show a bit, and I think B&S did that well, without
po-facedly (is that a word - it is now!) concentrating on singing proper
like.
Nirvana did it with KC singing in a "gothic drawl" - an octave lower for
Smells Like Teen Spirit, and miming the guitar badly.
Anyhoo, miming can be hard work. Look at young William Piper. She had to
memorise all those slick moves, remember to stamp the dancer in the boz, and
remember all the beautifully poetic lurex at the same time. What a lot to
cram into her pretty little head. She must be really clever, like "Swells",
that modern day hybrid of Woodward & Bernstein.
Read Murdoch's riposte in the NME today, without buying the rag of course.
Some of "Swells" replies to letters seemed soooo petty and unsuccessful at
taking the piss. Anybody expecting to get ripped into by Angst got off
easily, because he's not even capable of sticking the knife in properly when
he has the chance.
Isobel looked rather lovely with her tartan tie. Anyone who does not realise
her innate cuteness, should listen to I Could Be Dreaming when she says "The
most gigantic word in the dictionary".
When she says "word" it should make any grown man melt.
I must admit Stuart M does possess a rare and chisled beauty though.
Glad to see ole Richie Colburn promoting his and my home town with his
Perthshire Advertiser T-shirt on TOTP. He made the clever move of getting
out of this place, whereas I returned to the parental fold merely for a job.
I'll get out of this crummy old town some day though.
Off to Athens tomorrow - on a whim and an overly optimistic appraisal of the
bank balance, so I'll get FISHYFLAP when I return.
In the meantime, I wish you all extremely happy listening, and would
respectfully suggest that you don't post again until next Saturday so's not
to clog ma box up. I'm sure you'll all comply with this reasonable request.
Until the Edinburgh piss-up, I remain your friendy neighbourhood
Jarvis
xxx