Sinister: preaching to the steadfastly non-convertable

Florence twinkle at xxx.uk
Sat Jun 3 09:12:00 BST 2000

Feather Boa said of TOTP:

>wasn't it grate?  i liked the way they took the piss completely, and bel looked >so bored.  it was cool, especially the elvis impersonation.

It *was* grate. They really stood out from the rest, just by looking so ordinary, so blasé, and so cool. And Stuart danced like a god.

I taped it for the benefit of my cousin Toby, who had to work a late shift at the Co-op yesterday evening. He managed to see it though - he heard the opening notes, and sprinted across the store to the TV department. "This isn't too bad actually!", said the girl who works in that section, in a surprised tone (imagine high-pitched Brummie and you've got it).

We're both encountering lots of people who are surprised to find the single so good, including several members of our family. (My brother enjoyed the video - "Is that a bloke in a dress?!" he asked. Yes, I replied, then realised he meant Isobel. NB - this is true, and not simply a dig at Bel on my part, I think she's lovely.) But then they hear fyhcywlap and think it's rubbish. Oh well, at least we try our best to convert them. Which reminds me, Mike said:

>    At this point I wondered if one of the unknown symptoms of
>can't-be-arsed-itus was the development of a serious Hefner obsession... it
>appears that it is.

According to Mike, this Hefner obsession is my fault. He didn't take too much persuasion though, and I'm not a bit sorry :-)

And on the subject of other bands, Rachel said:

>Has anyone heard of a band called The James Dean Driving Experience? I came
>across their name on a website and any band with a name like that must be
>good.

They were very good! I used to write to the drummer, and still have their first few releases. Very Smiths influenced, with cool 'Screen Goddess' cover stars. I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows what became of them, after about 1990...?

I mingled with a lot of stars in the late 'eighties. I was at school with the mighty Fuzzbox. (They were a few years above me though - I'm not *that* old.) And me and a friend once 'hung out' backstage with Ocean Colour Scene. We weren't a bit overawed or impressed by this experience though, because we thought they were pants.

Florence xx