Sinister: This post is looking like the Bible, with it's verses lost in time...

Katy Dutton jellybabs at xxx.com
Sat Jun 3 12:50:53 BST 2000

Some stuff in no order:

1.  TOTP.  Bluddy grate.  Just after they were on, my boyfriend phoned and
was raving about it, as was I, then I was juggling two phones because my
best friend rang talking about the same thing.  It was a bit frantic to say
the least.  I went round for the rest of the evening with a massive smile
plastered on my face, not being able to stay still.

2.  The Times 'Metro' section has Fishyclap as their album of the week this
week.  The review:

Bloody awkward coves, Belle and Sebastian.  They have a profile so low that
even though they beat the evil Steps to win the 1999 Best Newcomer Award at
the Brits, people still think they're French.  They get offered a lucrative
Radiohead support tour, but turn it down so that they can play at a local
Glasgow community centre instead.  They spend more than a quid on a video
and think they're 'selling out'.  And when was the last time anyone even
cared about that?

Then there's the matter of their dealings with the press: they have never
sent out a photo of the full band line-up.  Occasionally, as an alternative,
they mail  pictures of their friends.  Or toy dogs.  They don't do
interviews, except to discuss why they don't do interviews.
The downside of all these shenanigans is that the music tends to be
forgotten.

Which is a shame, because Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant is
a great album.  Musically, B&S just get better and better.  their roots
remain the classic Love album Forever Changes, the pop symphonies of Pet
Sounds or (whisper it) some of mike Oldfield's finer moments.

The best songs are again written and sung by Stuart Murdoch, in the endless
circular sentence style of Nick Drake.  The opener I Fought In A War is like
Donovan sings the letters of Wilfred Owen.  Yes, it's that miserable.
Murdoch's finest moment, though, is Chalet Lines; it's unlikely you'll hear
a song as sad, touching and heartfelt as this all year.  It's about a rape,
with Murdoch narrating as the attacked girl.  It's a hugely dark moment put
into starker contrast by the fact that the song that follows it is a
hilarious piece of self-mockery entitled Nice Day For A Sulk.  'Nice day for
a sulk/That girl smells of milk', sings Murdoch cheerily, then 'Nice day for
a mood/The forecast is gloom' set to a skippy, bouncy march and falling
downstairs piano.  Terrific.  Other highlights include Murdoch and
cellist/vocalist Isobel Campbell doing their impression of Lee Hazlewood and
Nancy Sinatra on Beyond the Sunrise, and The Wrong Girl, the kind of
upside-down pop song the Monkees wrote when they were set free.

A few years ago the NME ran a regular satirical item with the headline 'God
Help Us If There's A War'.  Under this banner would be pasted a picture of
the latest floppy-fringed indie group foolish enough to send the publication
a single.  Back then, in the wake of Morrissey and The Smiths, when
alternative rock was glad to be fey, the world was full of earnest young men
with the physique of a sheet of A4 paper.  These days they are something of
a rarity, and in a world containing Bloodhound Gang's Hooray For Boobies,
it's actually a relief to hear a band prepared to be whimsical and
sensitive.

Truth is, we need Belle & Sebastian far more than they need us.

Nice review, non?  Oh yeah, they got 8/10.

3.  Um I got another list crush vote.  I thought I knew who it was but truth
is, turns out it isn't that person.  So I'm baffled now; a)I thought it was
my boyfriend, b)Whoever it is is a wee bit silly, because I'm silly and
un-crushable.  Mail me anyway - I'm intrigued.  And I feel all arrogant now
for announcing it.  Sorry.

4.  Oh, one last thing.  Just want to say hi to some people - David :), Hib
- post, you silly girl!, and Ayesha who just rejoined.

Okay, I'll go.  Sorry for the copied and minimal content :)

Bye bye,

Katy.

PS The Nottingham/Sheffield/Midlands picnic is looking good for July.