Sinister: twee-training courses meet nightly at the sinister pub

GardeningAtNight at xxx.com GardeningAtNight at xxx.com
Mon Jun 5 12:04:31 BST 2000

I love you Sinister.  You are my bread and butter.  Something cheery to read
during last week especially, which was a stressful week for me, during which
my French teacher made me cry in front of everyone and I ran on no lunch or
sleep but at least I had plenty of pimples.  I've got until Wednesday and I'm
free from school for a time at least.  And each day ends at noon so I may
just get flappyclap earlier than usual (a whole 5 hours, wow).  This weekend
was grate though, it was full of B&S (at least more than usual).

1. On Saturday I went to Vintage Vinyl, and while looking through the B&S
section the lovely DJ lady put Legal Man on the PA.  So of course I screamed
"owww!" like the guy who sings that "I Feel Good" song and started singing
and dancing like I thought a Maisonette might.  I wasn't quite that
flamboyant but I definitely did some damage.  There were two girls in a
corner doing weird 80's dances too and were as excited as I was probably.
But of course I was too shy to go near them.  They played Dick Slap too,
which I think is the best song on the EP.  I wished it had been the extended
version though, because whoever said that the trumpet is orgasmic is right,
I'd been searching for a word to describe it but that's perfect.

2. I had what I think was my very first B&S dream last night.  I was in the
basement of a mansion with some woman who was my friend I guess, and we were
trying to figure out how to make fudge because we were having guests.  She
said she tried using 2 parts chocolate orange and I yelled at her that it was
all wrong.  So I poured in a box of Wheat Thins but that obviously didn't
help either.  So we went up the stairs, and who was in the hallway?  Stuart
Murdoch.  So she started talking to him as if she'd known him all her life,
and then turned to me and said, "Oh Stuart, this is Samantha.  Samantha, this
is Stuart Murdoch."  And I shook his hand trying to contain myself and then I
said, "I love your voice, and your songs, they're just grate."  And he
blushed and looked embarassed and said "thanks."  But in the dream he had the
singing voice of Lawrence from Felt.  I don't remember how it happened, but
suddenly we all were dancing, I danced with the woman and with Stuart.  I
think it was square-dancing.  I kept worrying that he'd think my hands felt
funny, for some reason.  So then we went upstairs to a family room where the
band was sitting on the floor, but the only people I recognized were Stuart
and Isobel.  And for some reason I played the bass parts, but on an acoustic
guitar.  We played Paper Boat, and then afterwards they argued about which
song to do next until Isobel shouted, "Enough!  We're playing 'Surtout'!"
which was one of her own songs, and I think it means "usually" in French but
I forget.  It was a very quiet song and I kept worrying that I was playing
too loudly.  I looked at Struan, and his head looked shrunken kind of.  It
looked like it does in that picture they always show with NME articles online
except he wasn't grinning madly.  And then we all left, and it was over.

That was long.  Anyway, I'll wrap this up.  I showed the Sinister website to
my best friend and she looked through the archives, and she seemed really
confused.  Then she turned to me and said, "what are you people talking
about?"  She needs twee-training or something, she's a fan but she's got a
long way to go ;)

Samantha