Sinister: flap your wings child, you squawk like a parakeet

Kevan Cooke fatslug at xxx.com
Mon Jun 5 12:44:46 BST 2000

hello folks,

the strangest thing happened this morning.

there i was, sitting at home, minding my own business, and
trying to listen to the new album by belle and sebastian,
when all of a sudden there's this loud tapping at the window.
gave me a right shock i can tell you.  for whatever reason
some damn fool had sent a bloody parrot to annoy me.

so anyway, i'm more of a fan of waterfowl than exotic birds,
and naturally chose to ignore the blighter, turning up the
record player in the hope of drowning out the tapping and
squawking and flapping about.

but its a persistent bugger, bloody hours it was there for,
and those cats from next door were sitting patiently below
waiting for it to get knackered.

well, i'm not going to spend my afternoon cleaning up after
the cats, so i had to open the window and let the bloody
thing in, didn't i?

so here's what happened next...  i gave it some water and it
asked for a cracker and i told it to bloody well piss off
and leave me the hell alone, but it says:  "oh no kevan, i
am the poetry parrot and i cannot leave until you have
posted a poem to the sinister mailing list."

"bollocks to that, " i replied, "i bloody hate poetry."

"tough," says the bird, "cos i'm not going anywhere until
you do."

well its already shat all over the carpet and clawed a hole
in the curtains, and i just want shot of the bloody thing,
so here's a poem.

 These days come before spring:
 the meadow rests under thick snow,
 the dry trees rustle gaily,
 the warm wind soft and resilient.
 The body marvels at its lightness,
 you do not recognise your house,
 and the song that annoyed you before,
 enraptured, you sing as new.

   Anna Akhmatova  1915

well, that seems to have satisfied the parrot, it just flew
off again squawking something about how jess has been calling
for it.

bye,
kevan

wet fun...  http://www.splishsplosh.co.uk/