Sinister: Rock Lagomorphs

Dewar dewar at xxx.uk
Mon Jun 5 22:46:56 BST 2000

Hello,
I thought I would mark this momentous day by having my very first (if
overdue) post. What a day to have a first post, eh? I bet nobody will notice
what with the new album taking up people’s time and all.
Anyways, I have a few points to make – some pertinent, some of no interest
to man nor beast:

Brief Introduction
First point is my main one – I’m not actually just called “Dewar”.  Is it
possible to change that name or not? I should really know as I work in IT.
Any solutions??? Please??  OK, now on to the real deal:

The main reason for me joining this list I think, is to get to hear from,
and meet, like-minded people. Obviously I’m sure that’s the same for
everybody, but bear with me! I’ve finished my time at university in Glasgow
and I’m back living in my home town of Perth (Scotland by the ways). This is
not the greatest situation in the world, and it’s compounded by the fact
that I am rank-rotten at my office job, even if it does pay the bills from
my time at uni. I’d better not go on about it actually, as some people that
work there may be on this list – hi there if you are!! It’s a familiar
story, I know. Oh – that reminds me – fellow new-boy Ian Radcliffe from
Perth in an all-too similar situation to me – are you the one that I know?
That would be weird eh? In fact. if there are any other east coast(ish) B&S
fans (or anywhere actually, let’s face it) then please make their presence
felt to me. Come on – it’ll be great! Nice one.

Ages of You
If I sound like I am a moaning teenager, that would be strange – because I’m
not. Which brings me on to my second point – I am 24 years old!!
At first when I was reading the list the only ages that were being mentioned
were teens, which made me feel a bit crappy, but then I realised that since
there are over 1000 subscribers, there must be some old bastard out there!
So come on old bastard – let’s hear from you! Even if it’s just to put my
mind at rest!
Now I see that age is not particularly important – y’all seem like an
intelligent, sophisticated bunch, and it’s not like I act any differently to
what I was like when I was 16. Arguably worse.
My degeneration back into a teenager has been astounding since I left uni –
I come home every day, take my uniform off and sulk around. I  play music
all night. I read my books on natural history. My favourite animal is a tuna
by the way. Vastly misunderstood as an animal. Is that twee is it? Maybe.

I Feel I have To Comment on the Old Twee Argument (skip if required)
Which brings me on nicely to the third point – that of “tweeness”.
I agree that it is a difficult thing to define, but I would go for it being
a state of mind rather than there being anything specifically being part of
a “Twee Uniform”. For instance, my friend dresses in clothes that could be
described as twee (as I may do, I suppose) but you couldn’t really describe
him as being a twee person. He has a rebellious "rock n’ roll" state of
mind, in the same way that B&S do I reckon, so he is not twee. A twee person
is more like a follower of excruciatingly safe, popular things to do and say
without realising so, which I think does NOT exist among the people of this
list. It doesn’t matter if you like bloody bunnies or not (I’ve had a few as
pets) – you’re still all "rock n’ roll"!!! Just not in the traditional way!!
Which is even MORE rock n’ roll!!! Rock rabbits!!! I take rock n’ roll to be
a good thing by the way. It doesn’t refer to music at all. But maybe it
should? I don’t know?

Regal Mann.
Legal Man – the sound of a band spreading their talent around (man). You’d
all get bored if it sounded the same! I think it’s great. Come on – it’s
what they’ve always wanted to do. And it’s done without being a sell-out in
any way. Great TOTP as well – it did remind me of the clasisic Nirvana
appearance. It certainly had all my mates smiling silently for 3 mins
anyway!!

FYHCYWLAP
New Album – I sense that Beyond the Sunrise may be a real talking point in
the next wee while. Can I just say that I think it is great, and one of the
real highlights of the album. And this is from a staunch Murdoch-only vocal
fan. I heard it for the first time last night on BBC Scotland’s Beat Patrol,
and it stunned me. I haven’t had a song make me temporarily paralysed for
aaaaaages. Lovely cinematic western music, but still manages to sound
personal. How??

Smiths (John)
I was saddened to hear Steven Pastel on the aforementioned beat patrol last
night saying that John Smith’s bookstore is closing it’s doors soon. To
those not au fait with this shop, it resides in the west end of Glasgow, and
had THE greatest music department, Steven Pastel works there (from the
Domino recording artists The Pastels), and I was always quite embarrassed
walking in with my Chemikal Underground record bag for some reason. I now
wish I had bought all these Pavement singles that they sold when I had the
chance. Maybe they’ll have a clearout sale though!!! That would be great!!!

Trivia Teaser
I’ve got a really funny Richard Colburn/school anecdote by the way, but I
think I’ll leave it until next time!!!! Ha ha! It’ll give me a good excuse
to write again.

Did that email sound too aggressive? I read it over and now I’m reluctant to
press “send”. Oh well, here goes

Thankyou for listening,

Rafe!!