Sinister: Strength of Strings

Martin Robinson martin at xxx.uk
Tue Jun 6 16:32:03 BST 2000

Hello knitters,

Well, what a Belle & Sebastian day I had yesterday what with the new
album coming out and then chatting with Richard, Chris, and Mick via
those nice people at MTV's chat room. It was nice to see the boys
enlightening responses to inciteful questioning, especially by that Jim
Rockford character, Carsmile's World Cup willy and someone wanting them
to play at her wedding. I don't know. Actually I have to admit Jim's
line of question was a bit dissapointing, it nearly made me tear down
all my Rockford Files posters, and I would probably would have too if it
hadn't been for the fact I've become quite emotionally attached to the
one of him in his white bathrobe with Jim emblazoned in gold lame on his
left breast. The chat, though, was made all the more interesting by the
fact it seemed to take place in an Eminem chat room. Slim Shady indeed.
There were also a sprinkling of teenage girls there interested in
chatting to boys and as Carsmile wrote wanting some good lovin', despite
my membership of the Big Gay Club faction of this NME berated
institution it still made me all a bit hot udder the collar. Actually my
membership of said camp is under question unless I can leave this udder
obsession behind me and in the past. Anyway, there was also a lot of MTV
are corporate scum comments in this chat thing too which I'm sure shook
the foundations of said institution, well they were quite funny... Oh
yeah and the album's fucking good too in't it? I'm allowed to say that
now. I love the thick strings plastered everywhere. I love some strings,
and there's enough on there to a keep a Tom with a vigorous libido's
litter of kittens entertained right through to retirement. And as Gene
Clark sang...

Apart from Belle and Sebastian, this week I've been mainly thinking
about Francis Benali the long serving Southampton full back. I've just
been conjegating and deliberating, a bit like that tosser Lloyd Grossman
about those posh folk making ponsey food, I mean when didn't a Findus
Crispy Pancake constitiute the essential ingredient of a gourment
delight? Sorry what I meant to say is I've just been wondering whether
Francis' mum is proud of him or not. I'm really just not sure... And
don't get me started on Doug Rougvie, largely because he'd kick my sorry
foppish arse.

I'm sorry to keep harping on about B&S but I know no Eminem. Apart from
the "candy" but they're no substitute for Revels unlike what the bloke
in my local sweet shop suggested when he broke the news to me that they
were indeed revel-less or unrevelled or something. It reminded me of
that recent occassion when I asked for a pint of lager and it was
suggested I should have Tenant's. I really haven't got over that
obviously traumatic occassion yet. I'm thinking of counselling, which
let's face it is better than thinking of Benali. Anyway I was surprised
to see Alasdair Cook listed as playing percussion on the new album, as
the only thing I've seen him play is the fruit. But I'm sure he could
give a good bang to anything if he put his mind to it. Nudge, nudge,
tilt, damn my ball's dropped! Or something. Sorry but my life is a game
of pinball...

Anyway better go and make that life size model of Everest out of mash
potato, parsley and the Marillion fan club. Things are fishy round here
indeed and I don't mean the penguin sanctuary I've created in my
flatmates bedroom. Oh and the new Tompaulin ep as it's great so go and
get it.

Te ra,

Martin

P.S If anyone can tell me where these scratches on my arm have come from
I'd be most enlightened. Actually Casarotto have you got long
fingernails?