Sinister: Nice day for a Belle & Sebastian-fan

Alexander Bartilson alexander.bartilson at xxx.com
Tue Jun 6 20:06:55 BST 2000

Hi,
bought the album when the shops opened yesterday. Have listened to it a few times now and I thought I'd just post some thoughts and reflections. If your not interested now is the time to press delete.

"I fought in a war"
Great song. Made me think about WW II and D-day. Noticed that the girl on the cover is holding a book called "I fought in a war". This may be a well-known book, but I haven't heard of it. Someone of you have probably read it. One thing, is there one or two girls on the cover. Can't really decide whether it's a mirror or not. The text on the left book is reversed so...

"The model"
A classical B & S track. Wonderful.
Can't help smiling when I hear "It was the best sex she ever had" and "The girl next door who's famous for showing her chest"...

"Beyond the sunrise"
Nice duet with Isobel and ehhh...Nick Cave?
The song is probably the most surprising song on the album in my opinion.

"Waiting for the moon to rise"
So this is Sarah. Love her voice and the track.

"The chalet lines"
A direct punch in the stomach. With lines like "I missed my time, I don't think I could stand, to take the test, I'm feeling sick, fuck this, I've felt like this for a week" I just wonder how there's possible to put so much emotion into a song.

"Family tree"
I'm one of those who thinks Isobel's voice is lovely so of course I think this track is great. Waiting with eager for the new Gentle Waves album. "

On the whole this is a fantastic album. Absolutely brilliant. And you can quote me on that.

Well that's all for now. Might return later with more comments. Till then...

///alexander

PS. Boys and girls, stop that monkey business now, and tell me who the gorilla is! DS.