Sinister: Sweethearts of the Rodeo

Vicki Rider vrider at xxx.net
Wed Jun 7 01:47:50 BST 2000

Hi--

So I called Tower Records to see how much FYH woyld cost:
Clerk: Belle and what? I don't see it on the new release board.
me: Belle & Sebastian. They're new album's supposed to come out tomorrow.
You have other stuff by them.
Clerk: Can you spell that?
me: B-E-L-L-E A-N-D-S-E-B-A-S-T-I-A-N
Clerk: Uhhh, lemme check . . .nope, nothing. [!]
me: Thanks anyway.

So I went to the indie record shop across the street and payed $3 more
(question--do english keyboards have a pound sign over the 4 instead of a
dollar sign?hmm)

It's: Lovely. I like "Nice Day For A Sulk", a little sixties-y pick me up
after "Chalet Lines".

After listening to the new album, I'm forming a question in my mind:

Are Belle & Sebastian dabbling in country?

Evidence: guitars on "I Fought In A War" are twangier than usual. hmm
               "Beyond the Sunrise"
                cowbell and twangish (is that a slide guitar??)guitars at
                the beginning of "The Wrong Girl"-->"I went lookin' for
                my darlin'

Not that that's bad thing. Whatever they're doing it's great. On
the first listen it shocked me a little, maybe because I didn't fall
immediately in love with it like Arab Strap. This one took a few listens to
hook me. It also gave me the distinct feel of summer (just like Arab Strap's
feel of fall, and Sinister's feel of spring).

Also listened to Jesus & Mary Chain's "Psychocandy", a very nifty album
indeed.

Well,

Ciao!
Rachel W.

"You're trying much too hard to make your world seem like a dream."-Felt