Sinister: I Yacht In A War...

David White david at xxx.uk
Wed Jun 7 18:16:33 BST 2000

Greetings,

Can't help thinking that 'I Fought In A War' sounds like an old Duran Duran
song, was it called Ordinary World? (goes something like, "I won't cry for
yesterday, in an ordinary world, somehow i will survive") Can we expect the
next video to be shot on a yacht in the Med featuring a frilly shirted
Stuart M? (shit this knowledge of crap old music scares me).

As for the album, after a few more listens I've decided I like it a lot.

Fave tracks: erm, probably easier to list my least favourite ones cos I like
most of them. Woman's Realm is probably the biggest surprise cos most
reviews of the album said it was the weakest track (which it's certainly
not).

Least favourite tracks: Beyond The Sunrise, it might be a slow burner but
it's a bit too strange at the moment (sounds vaguely like the song U2 did
with Johnny Cash on Zooropa) and The Chalet Lines, I appreciate the
sentiment and it's got very powerful lyrics (listen to it through headphones
if you have any doubts, Stuart says fuck at least twice!), but it's a bit
too depressing (amusing to note that the wonderful NME (spot the irony
folks!) said that this was "a minimal, brittle sketch of half-forgotten
romance." Hmmm think they might have failed to listen to it properly
somehow!)

As for the the rest of the album, I'm considering rationing myself to one
listen a day so that I don't get sick of hearing it (perish the thought!)
cos there's nothing worse than hearing something too often.

BTW If there is a video for 'Wrong Girl' does this mean it's going to be the
next single? Hope not, I want another EP with brand new songs, I'm willing
to wait a couple of months for it though!

Anyway enough of this gubbins,

Dave
Visit the new look, greatly improved www.belleandsebastian.freeserve.co.uk
for all your B&S needs!