Sinister: pheeeeew. thanks Nick....

Alan Burns burns_alan29 at xxx.com
Wed Jun 7 21:59:09 BST 2000

Nick Dastoor wrote:

Hmm... I have real problems with 'The Chalet Lines'.  It's like a trial you
have
to go through each time you hear the album.  Does it really tell us anything
about rape?  It just seems to be a succession of cliches about the way women
who
have been raped feel in its aftermath.   If it were a woman singing about it
from personal experience, then maybe it would different, but Sensitive Stan
as
Stuart is, I just don't think it serves any purpose, which to my mind makes
it
gratutitous.  No doubt it's better read as a personal evocation of his own
feelings, but I just end up resenting it for being so... boring.  I don't
feel
the emotion that someone else remarked upon at all.  At least it's short.

so now at last, I too can shout it from the rooftops:
I'm sorry, but I just can't stand that song at all.

and I can normally stomach a lot lyrically: Lou Reed's "Berlin" did after
all last a full six months on my CD rack before I knew I'd inflicted too
many psycholoical (and physical) wounds on myself, and finally got rid of
it, but "The Chalet Lines" is just way too much.

I mean, come on. any bloke singing stuff like that. to my mind, that's
gratuitous, tactless and grossly offensive to women. I can obviously
appreciate how "Me And A Gun" is a very harrowing account of real pain felt
by a woman; but a man trying to relate a story like that? it's just sick.
sorry, but that's how I feel.

and I love Stuart as a lyricist. this time, though, is the only time I'll
accuse him of self-indulgence and I have to believe that it's as if he's
thinking 'I'm "Stuart Murdoch", Copyright, Registered Trademark, etc,
therefore I can get away with singing something like this'. sorry once more
to anyone who's genuinely been touched and moved by this song, but this is
my personal ideology and belief on the matter: I won't be listening to it
again.

anyway, rant over!!

some other thoughts, then, as the album starts to grow on me with each
listen....

Nice Day For A Sulk. I love it; it's absolute classic Belle & Sebastian,
could've fit on IYFS, and to my ears it's the most upbeat song on the album,
and one of my personal favourites. that song arriving in my life at the
start of a rainy, gloomy summer with a rollercoaster love-life just suits my
whole situation perfectly.

Beyond The Sunrise. I see it's been causing a fair bit of controversy over
the fact it's such an obvious departure in style!! I was trying to place
where I'd heard anything like that before, and then someone on the list
mentioned Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood, and it made perfect sense. Anyone
who's heard the two of them duetting on "Sand" ('young woman, share your
fire with me...') or Lee's woozy, boozy half-remembered reminisces on
"Summer Wine" will appreciate where this is coming from. And as I'm already
deeply entrenched in Johnny Cash, Nick Cave & Leonard Cohen, the vocal
doesn't grate with me at all. A really good grower for me; wasn't sure first
couple of listens, but now I love it.

I Fought In A War. Stuart dusts off his big book of Arthur Lee chord
progressions once more, and fashions another beautiful, sweepy ballad. One
thing though; it's strikes me that B&S could end up with a serious
self-parody/cliche problem on their hands: that's four albums in a row
that've all started off with a plaintive wee Stuart vocal; can we have a bit
of punchy bombast at the start of the next album, just for a change?? Great
song though, with some really touching lyrical moments.

Waiting For The Moon To Rise: I thought this was Isobel!! it's absolutely
gorgeous as a first offering from Sarah though.

Don't Leave The Light On Baby: the harmonies towards the end are the most
beautiful I've ever heard on any Belle & Sebastian song. lots of audible
shades of my favourite Velvet Underground album, the untitled third one.

The Wrong Girl: yeah, it is a bit country-influenced...which is great for
me, though (you should see some of the corners of my CD collection that I
tend to hid from most of my friends!!)

I realise I haven't mentioned every single song on the album, but this is
all the stuff that's on my mind about it at this stage. One more I'd like to
mention; my undisputed favourite, Family Tree. The lyrics bring back so many
memories of me getting kicked out of Higher Maths lectures for daydreaming,
then going to the Music Dept and writing some songs, that it's almost
unbearably poignant *sniff*; and it's got a gorgeous melody, and perfect for
Isobel's voice.

pleeeease don't take this post the wrong way, anybody, it's just a load of
opinions. I've read everyone elses thoughts too, and considered them. this
is the second time I've been involved in a fans' mailing list for a band or
artist when a new album comes out (other time was just last month for Neil
Young's "Silver & Gold") and both times have been totally fascinating, to
see the different opinions of so many people when they're all exposed to a
new album at roughly the same time.

"Nothing I say is written in stone!"

(Neil Young, "Don't Cry")