Sinister: Watch out, Isobel's got a knife!

Eric D Brasure edb213 at xxx.edu
Thu Jun 8 00:49:04 BST 2000

Belle and Sebastian are not yours. There, I've said it. They're never
going to make another record like "Tigermilk" or "Sinister", they've grown
up a bit and it sounds and is good. If you want to be disappointed, you'll
find a way. After "Legal Man" I was quite worried, but my fears have been
assuaged. The songs are strong and well-done, and the little part after
the line "Oh what's the fucking point at all" in "The Chalet Lines" where
you can hear Stuart swallow is amazing. Oh, and "Beyond the Sunrise" is
fab, even if I think that it would have worked much better as a B-side.
I left my copy of the new album on my desk at work today as I went to the
restroom, and when I returned someone was eagerly flipping through the
liner notes. So I found a B&S fan in Delaware! Isn't it weird how two
people that don't know each other at all can proceed to having a 10-minute
conversation about music?
Pauses between the "sides" of albums: has anyone else noticed this? On all
four, there's a 10-13 second gap of silence where the tracks are split in
half, like they would be on a tape or record. Is this a common CD trick,
or have I noticed something really quite bizarre and uncommon?

Bye,
Eric

P.S. Spin review of the album: http://www.spin.com/heavy/bigrotation/

"If you start out depressed, everything's a pleasant surprise." -Lloyd
Dobler