Sinister: Nice Day For A Mood

Robin Stout ppyrrjs at xxx.uk
Thu Jun 8 10:45:05 BST 2000

Hi there

      I'm in a bit of a tense mood today, so I won't say much, but I
have to say something about the new album, don't I? After trying to
resist the temptation of a preview tape, I failed hopelessly, so I've
been listening to it for about a month now. Here are my considered
opinions:

      I Fought In A War, The Model and There's Too Much Love are all
GRATE, with a capital G, R, A, T, E. The first two songs are perhaps
the best opening pair of songs they've done, so the rest was bound
to be a bit disappointing.
      Waiting For The Moon To Rise is pretty cool, though the lyrics
aren't that great.
      I don't think Don't Leave The Light On ... is as good as some
people seem to, but it's pretty adventurous, and it makes you listen.
      I like the Chalet Lines, if you can really use such a weak word
about a song about rape. It's not a singalong classic, but I think it's
rather poignant.
      I'm quite fond of  Nice Day For A Sulk too, although it will please
a friend of mine who says that Belle and Sebastian songs all sound
like Messing About On The River.
      Woman's Realm is a good song, but it really sums up what's
wrong with the album, I think. It's been said before, by me as well, I
think, but when you start to use an orchestra, the danger is that
things get too orchestrated, and that's what's happened. I don't
wan't Belle and Sebastian to be endearingly shambolic (well, mybe
a bit), but I don't want their songs to be lifeless. I think the song's
great, but the orchestration lets it down, and the handclaps on this
sound like the're being played by John Shuttleworth on his
Bontempi organ.
      I like Family Tree, and don't think you can really read much into
it, so I won't bother.
      And.... Beyond the Sunrise isn't that bad. It doesn't fit on the
album at all, it it's easily the weakest song and I don't know what the
hell Stevie was thinking of with that accent, but it's got some lush
heavenly voices on it, and that sort of think always tweaks my bells.
      So, in my opinion, it's certainly not Tigermilk or If You're Feeling
Sinister, but I think it's more of an *album* than TBWTAS, rather
than a collection of songs. The production's good, the orchestration
is a little limp, but it's not terrible. And it's got some ace
sleevenotes, too. Truly, Stuart Murdoch is a poet.

Robin x