Sinister: All Hail Geddes!

David Howie howied41 at xxx.com
Thu Jun 8 18:14:07 BST 2000

All hail Chris Geddes!

Well, since Ol' Grumpy (© Screaming Mad Cassorotto) is throwing in his
tuppence, I might as well submit a Review.  Maybe we can collate them, find
the average stance, and create a definitive super-review.  I might as well
adopt a Lester Bangs-esque manner of song-by-song, personal reflective
journalese.

"I Fought In A War"

A brave title for an opening track.  The likes of which hasn't been found
since the proud proclamation that The Queen Is Dead.  The opening track is
just as rousing as The Smiths' sprawling epic.  At first glance a
pre-emptory strike against Swells ("I left my friends behind me/To go
looking for the NME").  This (and I agree with you here Alan, mate) is the
best Love song by B&S since Dog On Wheels.  Arthur Lee: Struan salutes you.
With lines as heart-achingly straight to the point as "I bet you're making
shells back for a steady boy to wear", we have a fantastic opener.  No The
State I Am In - but no Hello (What's The Story… remember that one, kids?)

"The Model"

I agree with Ol' Grumpy when he says he's not traced exactly what Struan
means yet - but you get the feeling that, pervasive in the song, Struan
knows exactly what he's singing.  Nine out of Ten.  Lisa must be one of
Struan's longest running school girls.  Found as early as Struan's early
bands (Lisa Helps The Blind).  She, I'm afraid to say, is my favourite of
Stuart's school girls.  Anyone else who had a repertoire of 'characters', if
you will, you would reckon would get sick of singing their praises.  You'd
probably get sick of them singing as well.  Not Struan though.  Not under
written, not over written, Just Right.

"Beyond The Sunrise"

The first curve ball.  Ignore the lyrics, sixth form poetry, surely can't be
a Struan composition.  It stinks of Isobel (I use stink in the nicest
possible way, of course.)  The instrumentation though, beautifully realised,
putting the sin in sinister.  Struan wailing in the background, with his
iridescent, hollow breathe is haunting.  As harrowing as Robin Jenkins' Just
Duffy - not an easy read.  The bell chiming in the background, complimented
by the drunkard Cohen-aping Stevie culminates in an effect that affects.  If
I'm mad to like it - I'm mad.  Not sure about the acoustic guitar by
numbers, though.  It may just a comedy of country cliches, but I like it.

"Waiting For The Moon To Rise"

The best song The Field Mice never wrote.  A good first effort - but a
hammer to hit people with for those folk who feel the New Democracy does
more bad than good.  I know change is good, progression is good - but after
BTS, an I Could Be Dreaming would have gone down lovely.  I suppose it's
less pressure on Struan.  I still really like this song - but it's not as
affecting as the song that could fill it's place perfectly.  Shh, say it
softly for we don't want the Belles to think we're indignant: The Loneliness
of The Middle Distance Runner.  We should be happy with what we get, though,
eh?  Teehee.

"Don't Leave The Light On Baby"

Reveals the real star of the new democracy.  Please stand up one Chris
Geddes.  The harpsichord on The Model, the sullen piano driven pain of The
Chalet Lines, the rousing, raucous diatribic wurlitzer of Legal Man.
Chrissy boy is showing himself to be quite the affecting star.  He did look
unwell at the press conference, though.  Bless him.  "His ship came in/I'm
standing on the harbour wall".  It never fails you, does it?

"The Wrong Girl"

One journalist described it as "Legal Man's spiritual third cousin".  Enough
said, there then.

"The Chalet Lines"

You either hate it or loathe it seems.  Well, it's hard to say you love a
song by a man singing in the first person about a cliched rape.  But I
really, well, I can't say I like it either can, I?  I have absolutely no
problems with this song - barr the fact that it seems there is a little lack
of heart in the vocal.  It's the same old sad school girls, the same old bus
journeys, isn't it?  "Her face was just a smear on the pane"!!!!  This song
leaves you cold?!?!?!  Fuck sake!  "He raped me in the chalet lines".  Oh
yeh, it's that well trodden cliché about Butlins rape.  Everyone's entitled
to an opinion I guess.  Don't listen to it if you don't want to simple as
that.  I wish you could get Mr Wall Mart to understand that concept.

"Nice Day For A Sulk"

Jumped up B-Side.  It feels like a B-Side with ideas above its station.  I
don't like this song, no no no!

"Woman's Realm"

"The obligatory B&S rave up"?  Teehee.  B&S and rave in the same sentence, I
like that.  I do understand what Mr Dastoor says when he gets the feeling
that Struan's on auto-pilot.  There are lyrics which make absolutely no
etymological sense whatever, no logical structure and no meaning when
deconstructed using standard English rules - but when you hear them you know
EXACTLY what the singer means.  Take, for example, the song "Astral Weeks"
by Van Morrison:

"If I ventured in the slipstream, where immobile steel rims crack and the
ditch in the back road stops… lay me down in silence easy, to be born again…
Showing pictures on the walls… Standing with a look of avarice… Talking to
Huddie Ledbetter."

What the hell do these lyrics mean?  Nothing, nada, zilch, rien.  But when
Van sings them, in the context of the song - you get the feeling.  Back to
the point.  With Women's Realm you don't get this.  You get brilliant
individual, Stu at his best lyrics ("It would take a left-wing Robin Hood to
pay for schoo… A song or two, a boy a girl a rendezvous") but they don't sit
well together.  I feel.  This is still one of the highlights of the album,
though.  A real grate, and great, song.

"Family Tree"

Grate, twee, wilfully twee, but grate (and great)!  "I'd rather be fat then
be confused" just sums up the essence of B&S in a affecting epigram.  The
idea that image counts nothing when you're happy, and doing something
meaningful.

"There's Too Much Love"

See what Dastoor said - 'cos he said it all.  Thanks Nick. J

When, if ever, B&S release a Best Of it will require two discs, no doubt.
But looking upon this line-up there'll only be a handful from this release.
A four out of five album from a 6 out of five band.  I agree that it feels
decidedly less organic.  I think to sum up the two halves of B&S album
recording career (Tigermilk & Sinister then TWATTYBUS & FELCHYPLOP) you have
to look to Mum (the cover stars)

"Yesterday was dramatic - today was ok"

Y'know?

David.