Sinister: i could dance all night like i'm a soul boy

Paul McAllister paul at xxx.net
Thu Jun 8 19:41:47 BST 2000

hello,

don't usually post, but couldn't resist voicing a few views on the album.
firstly, i think its wonderful. yes, its got its faults but overall its a
fantastic album. maybe its not as good as sinister, maybe it is...i haven't
decided yet. however, a few points people have said i've disagreed with.

alan said about the chalet lines:
> I mean, come on. any bloke singing stuff like that. to my mind, that's
> gratuitous, tactless and grossly offensive to women.

hm, well maybe to some people, although aren't we forgetting that men can be
victims of rape too? (anyone watched hollyoaks recently...?). i know that
its supposed to be based on what happened to stuarts friend at that pontins
camp, but in general rape isn't exclusively something that happens soley to
females.
and personally, i think the song is beautiful.

nick said:
> 'Woman's Realm' annoys me.  To me it really sounds like "Here's the
obligatory
> B&S rave up".  It's *OK*, but something of a lower-grade retread  of 'The
Boy
> with the Arab Strap' and 'Dirty Dream Number Two'.

this was the first track i heard and was one of the few that really made my
heart skip a beatt. it was one of those magical b&s moments when you know
you've just heard something absolutely amazing and then go and walk around
with a silly grin on your face for ages. i'm surprised with a lot of the
negative comments about it....i know its all a matter of opinion and all
that, but i cant really see how its just DDN2 revisited. ok, the drums are
the same and the strings are quite prominent (as on large amounts of the
album) but...well, it just never sounded anything at all similar to me. and
i think its better anyway. the bit where stuart cuts back in accompanied by
the clapping, after isobels verse is just wonderful.  ok, its not as
lyrically masterful as some of the others, but the music more than makes up
for that. and there are some lovely sentiments in the lyrics ('but i dream
as i set to scrub/ all the floors and walls/ i'm thinking of a song or two/
a boy, a girl and a rendezvous'). well i like it anyway :)

i'd also like to agree with everyone who's said just how absolutely
fantastic there's too much love is. its just gorgeous. its a defining
moment. i think it shows (along with dont leave the light on baby) just how
far they've come, and where they're heading. its *the* perfect outro to a
great album. with the first 3 albums, the last tracks were never (for me)
stand out tracks. only criticism i would have is that its too short, so i
have to listen to it twice each time....

so overall i reckon its a great album. as someone else said, maybe if it was
by another band it would've been better received. who knows. the first two
albums didn't have such an effect on me on the first few listens. tigermilk
and sinister took time to grow on me. in contrast, arab strap had a huge
effect the very first time i heard it. more so than any album has done since
i first heard the stone roses debut many many years ago. and fishyclap has
done the same. although maybe its telling that arab strap is now my least
favourite and sinister my most favourite.....

well thats my pennys worth.

cheers
paul^

paul at belleandsebastian.org