Sinister: The Chalet Lines, cliches and emotions

Scott Turner Scott.Turner at xxx.com
Fri Jun 9 18:47:23 BST 2000

I think the cliche issue of this song is not that "all rapes are the
same", but that Stuart's artistic expression of this incident is cliche
in its kind of flat first person documentary style. I think because of
this it lacks power- which to me is disturbing given that the content
is about a rape.

Let me compare it to "ease your feet into the sea"- a song that seems
to be about something equally tragic- suicide, i think is what is being
referenced- but its so nuanced and different and literary and personal
that it takes on (for me at least) a weighty affective magic. Its
beautiful, swelling and deeply personal without reverting to
documentary style directness. You know the lyrics, but look at them
again:

"Troubles come and troubles go
The trouble that we've come to know
Will stay with us till we get old
Will stay with us till somebody decides to go
Decides to go

Soberly, without regret, 1 make another sandwich
And I fill my face, 1 know that things have got to you
But what can 1 do?
Suddenly, without a warning
On a pale blue morning
You decide your time is wearing thin
A conscious choice to let yourself go dangling
Hovering
It's an emergency
There's no more "wait and see"

Maybe if I shut my eves
Your trouble will be split between us
People come and people go
You're scouring everybodies face
For some small flicker of the truth
To what it is that you are going through, my boy
I left you dry
The signs were clear that you were not going anywhere
Anywhere
Save for a falling down
Everything's going wrong"

and then compare them to the writing from chalet lines:

"He raped me in the chalet lines
The girl I shared with was away for the night
I couldn't get up for my shift today
I'll have to leave the camp now anyway
I'll go to London there's a mate of mine I know
she'll give me a place
Full of woe and further to go
She caught the bus
"Oh I'll go anywhere"
She caught the bus
Her face was just a smear on the pane"

To me, chalet lines reads like a documentary and not a song. Its just
not very literary or affective compared to his other work.

Which may be my point with the songwriting on the new album- it sounds
to me really uninspired- like Stuart was depressed when he was writing-
not melancholic and emotional, but instead empty and depressed- like he
writers block or something. I think Stuart in the past has wrote very
literary songs drenched in emotions- like he was able to ride the fine
line between melancholy and depression and joy and mania and manifest
it into beautiful art. But this album, for me, lies emotionally flat,
and in many places, feels forced and empty.

Just some thoughts.

.scott

Memo from Mark on 9 June 2000, 12:45 EDT  Friday