Sinister: Where romancing is not possible

Arantxa Sanz pcxas at xxx.uk
Fri Jun 9 19:26:19 BST 2000

I will contain myself from writing the nth. review this week,but would
like to add my humble opinion to 'The Chalet Lines' controversy.

While being at home last week, I read some article about the album in an
Spanish mag (Rock de Luxe,for the sake of accuracy)where the author
praised it as one of the best songs in it, though the whole work scored
quite high for the standards of this publication,not exactly easy to
please and with very different intentions from the usual British
counterparts.They are not angry but 'arty' and usually quite loyal to
their favourites.Belle and Sebastian ranked very high with IFYS in their
eyes but dropped spectacularly with TBWTAS,not being even mentioned among
the best 20 lps that year.,to give you a flavour.But it seems they are
quite happy to reinstore their faith in Struan and company, so, that if
anyone is insterested in suscribing for the next 12 issues, you will get a
complimentary copy of FYHCYWLP.

But he mentioned that given the absence of printed lyrics attached to the
promo copy he had, he regarded not very adequate to make any pronouncement
on the quality of the texts,quite sensibly,as he is not a native English
speaker,neither the majority of his readers,I guess.So his favourable
veredict on 'The Chalet lines' was based purely on the grounds of the
instrumental aspects.

Scott's message has brought me some new insight  on why I agree with
those who have used the adjective 'cliched' to talk about it,how it seems
more a nearly rutinary statement in a Channel 4 documentary than a song
written with the intention of going beyond the facts, to move or to
console,I don't know.

His comparison between the treatment of suicide in 'Ease your feet in the
sea' and this of rape makes something click.It is possible,feasible and
even a too often exploited artistic licence to transform suicide in the
ultimate romantic action,the rejection of the World and the other
the very sensitive and authentic beings cannot bear.While there is no way
to elevate rape through
poetry.To stay with the facts in a report-form could be to Stuart's eyes
the most adequate stylistic approach with the aim of reveal the purest
horror with minimal seasonings.My objection is that somehow it does not
work...

Arantxa