Sinister: whiskey and coke, sunburned noses

christa NOGOODNIK at xxx.net
Fri Jun 9 20:13:48 BST 2000

i have had a revelation about the new album.  i think it was written for
women.  almost every song has that quality.  whereas TBWTAS seems to be
quite manly.  (well, as manly as they could dare get- we're not talking
AC/DC here, folks).  i've never liked TBWTAS.  when i listen to it, i have
to skip over like 4 or 5 of the songs.  none of them speak to me at all,
except maybe "roller coaster ride".  a good portion of it is catchy, but i
never pull it out of my shelf and throw it on the old stereo.  like, NEVER.
but, on tuesday night i drove down to visit my best friend in VA and i
listened to it the whole way there, and the whole way back today.  i think
its f-ing brilliant.  i don't really know why, its all shimmery and summery
and SAD.  and maybe that's what i'm in the mood for right now.  the only
song i can't listen to is #3.  i'm sorry, but their voices sound like
doodoo.  the lyrics are great, but sheesh- those vocals!  yikes.

every other song is topnotch.  sarah martin is my hero.  she's hot.  she's
on fire.  her voice is so nice.  and those of you who have issue with "the
chalet lines" don't know someone who was raped.  this isn't going to turn
into a dear diary, but when you are raped, survival is what you think of.
you detach yourself, it IS like watching a documentary of a life.  i don't
find that song to be cliché at all, and anyone who would say that (a man)
doesn't know the first thing about a rape.  i mean, other than what you get
from a film or made for TV movie.  what its REALLY like to live through
that... its not all wailing and gnashing of teeth and hating men.  its
sincere sadness, self-doubt, emptiness, trying to live and make yourself
whole again.  listen to it with that in mind.

"the model" and "there's too much love" are like in my top B&S songs ever.
"family tree" is NOT a waste of studio time (STEVE!!) - it makes me happy to
be female.  i'm no baby-maker!  ha!  and her voice has never sounded better.
she's no sarah martin, but you know.. ;)

anyway, after that little lecture.. i want to remind you all of the DC
sinister picnic tomorrow from 4pm to dark in Rock Creek Park, picnic grove
#9.  be there and be square!  bring food and whatnot.  its going to be fab.

ok, all.  have lovely weekends and smile and get out in the sun and drink
lemonade and eat cherries.  i want you all to promise me you're going to
have a fantastic time, no matter what you do.  i have realized over the last
three days that i have totally lost track of what it takes to have joy in my
life.  when was the last time *you* felt real joy?  go out and get it.

love and hamsters,
.christa.