Sinister: struan in SF? fishyclapimpressions

Ian Connelly ian at xxx.com
Sun Jun 11 02:40:48 BST 2000

so, a little bird's been whistling sweet nothin's
in my ear, about stuart m and isobel being in
san francisco this week. hmmmm, i wonder if
it's true...are they checking out places to play
when they come here? let's hope they can see
their way clear to playing Noe Valley ministry,
or maybe that wonderful, tiny building at
50 Oak street instead of multiple nights at
Great American or the abysmal Fillmore.
here's hoping (he said, again, wistfully.) &
here's hoping i'll run into them at the Aislers
Set record release party tonight.

i know it'd be terrible if all 1,500 of us
posted simultaneous reviews of the new record,
so i'll only say a bit about it. when i first
heard 'sinister' out of my housemate's bedroom
back in the halcyon days of '97, i hated it.
'who's the morrissey imitator?' i'd chide
him, silently, loading up my cd changer with
codeine, clikitat ikatowi, and the vss. but after
a week i was smitten, and i'd creep up into the
living room and sing along with the chorus of
'sinister'...even as he did the same thing...

and i think this is the way i feel about fishyclap;
at first i was a bit bewildered, and now it's grown
on me - an achey itch that'd take nasty antibiotics
to cure.  and i don't want that cure.

you can't go back, y'know, to the first time you'd
ever met someone you loved, and feel the same first
warm blush of longing - you'll always love them
remembering everything that's led up to Right Now...
it's not possible to hear this record w/o comparing
it to everything else that came before..and i think
it's an amazing bunch of songs on its own or otherwise.
if FYHC.. was their  first record we'd be falling all over
ourselves, with just cause.

so i'll go, now, feeling pretty sure i've said worse
than messrs cassarotto & co. anyone up for a san francisco
picnic? it's positively not quite summer yet, but if you're
outside at noon you can really feel it trying.

ian c