Sinister: More post-match analysis, switch over if you want to

Robin Stout ppyrrjs at xxx.uk
Tue Jun 13 14:49:08 BST 2000

Hello listees

    The Chalet Lines. I'm not going to say I can't understand what the
fuss is about, and I've never been very close to the consequences
of a rape, nor would like to be, so ignore me if you want, but I like
this song. I can see peoples' objections to it, but I've been trying to
work out why I think otherwise, so here goes.
    There are different faults people find with the song. Firstly, I don't
think there's any problem with Stuart singing it from the point of view
of a woman. I think, as Katarina said, that it sounds more like a
friend telling the story to him. Stuart often changes person during a
song (Electronic Renaissance is a classic example), and he does at
the end of this (from "I" to "she"), so I don't think he's really singing
"as a rape victim", but more like the echo from a sounding board.
     Belle and Sebastian often sing about pretty grim subjects,
bullying, adultery, suicide, loneliness, even murder, and I've always
wondered why some people have a sickly sweet impression of
them. I think that some people ( including Steven Wells, maybe?),
prefer a safer, more aggressive, style of "issue" songwriting, and
feel more comfortable with it, like a faded black t-shirt. But, to my
ears, Stuart has always touched on a more profound sadness that is
caused by these events, rather than the anger that more people see.
     I don't think The Chalet Lines is gratuitous, or gauche, I just think
it sounds quite helpless.
     Some people dislike the Chalet Lines, Nice Day For A Sulk
segue. Maybe I'm biased because I like both songs, but I don't think
Nice Day... is tactlessly happy or anything. It's just a song about
kicking about town, like String Bean Jean was.

     And that's what I'm off to do now...

Robin x