Sinister: No Trousers, No Comment

Peter Miller pjmiller at xxx.es
Fri Jun 16 14:01:49 BST 2000

Sometimes when listees leave it feels like the end of an era. Sad, but we
can get over it. Trousers' departure, however, feels like the end of two
eras, a kind of cruel double whammy. Not only will the list have to survive
without one of the keenest upholders of the Jasper Buckaroo aesthetic, the
Poetry Society is to lose him too. After perking up a bit with Ted Hughes'
"The Birthday Letters" and Seamus Heaney's recent translation of "Noggin the
Nog", both ghostwritten by Trousers, I feel sure than British poetry is
heading for a long spell in the doledrums, apart from Buzzwords. My fondest
memory of Trousers comes from the excellent book "The Message". It's the bit
where Trousers is reading Boyzone lyrics to a load of schoolchildren. We
shall never see his like again, and neither will the schoolchildren.

I read Staurt's letter to the NME yesterday. My mouth is opening and closing
but no sound is coming out. In his mardy-arsed reply, Steven Wells claims
that B&S fans wouldn't know a good rock'n'roll tune if it bit them. That's
not true is it, Fuzzbox fans?

Thank you to Jason Connery for sending in that article about Stuart's new
gas-guzzling motor. Most enjoyable.

Peter

"It's not a woman. because it carries you about and does things and it's
black, you look at it more as your butler." - Stuart Murdoch