Sinister: The Associates "Sulk"

Lawrence Mikkelsen mikelsen at xxx.nz
Mon Jun 19 07:37:05 BST 2000

***PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT***
On the basis that it will no doubt be woefully underpromoted when it is
released, I though I'd tell the list about the reissue of Associates'
landmark album, "Sulk" on Monday 19th June. (Probably "today", depending on
when you read this)

More astute members of the list will recognise the name Alan Rankine as
being instrumental in the early rise of Belle & Sebastian's career, and his
involvement in the Stow music course.

Alan was also, in the early 80's, the musical genuis behind post-punk band
Associates first two albums. Along with fellow Scot Billy Mackenzie
(vocals.lyrics), they made one of the most incredible albums ever made.
Belle & Sebastian have, in the past, covered "Partyfearstwo" when playing
live, which was the lead single off the album. Also, "William It Was Really
Nothing" by The Smiths, is widely regarded as being about Billy, who
Morriseey was quite taken with.

Anyway, to give you an idea about the album I'll quote from the Melody
Maker's Paul Lester, in his liner notes from "The Radio One Sessions" album.
They describe the music more eloquently than I could:

"Associates were described by one magazine as "the most modern ban of the
80s", and with good reason. Their astonishing music had no basis in the
grubby old roots of rock'n'roll, soaring high above th grit and bluster of
Chuck Berry or the blues. No, Associates drew on pre-rock traditions and
non-rock genres to create a startlingly different kind of noise, one that
people with superattuned ears will still be trying to make sense of in the
year 2004. Imagine the soundtrack to your wildest dreams, postpunk,
krautrock, the blue mood ballads of Frank Sinartra, the caberet historonics
of pre-war Germany, Kraftwerk's electronic travelogues, the epic sweep of
John Barry's film themes, the motorik torch songs of Bowie's Berlin Trilogy,
the digital romance of Giorgio Moroder/ Donna Summer ... Associates too all
these and raised them several powers .... Nothing, however, could have
prepared us for 'Sulk', Associates second LP. The exquisite turquoises and
mauves of the sleeve offered some idea of the impossibly lush and lavish,
exotic and extravagant new sound Mackenzie and Rankine, together with
producer Mike Hedges, achieved on this shatteringly innovative record.
'Sulk' is arguably the least influenced album of all time - it has few, if
any precedents - and one of the least influential: nobody, save prince on
'If I was Your Girlfriend' or Bjork on 'Venus as a Boy', has been able to
rival its emotionally overwrought (compliment) 'out of this world' music."

Well, I hope that will rouse the interest of at least one of you. I can't
say this is the sort of music that you will automaticly like if you like
B&S - in all honesty it's pretty hard to get a handle on, and I HATED it the
first time I heard it. But it's worth the effort, and if anyone is
interested in Scottish poost-punk pop, then 'Sulk' is an album you MUST own.

Goodnight kids,

Lawrence Mikkelsen
http://www.akn.quik.co.nz/mikelsen/aboutme